Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2022 NY Morel Season

16683 Views 140 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  geogymn
A teaser from our one little harvest last year. At least they were big ones. Pretty sure I missed last year's thread completely, but am going to read through it because I'm excited!! How is everyone doing? Any new spots picked out to try? My husband and I have spent a little time finding new areas for adventure this year, so that should be fun [aside from my current IT band issue]. Wishing everyone the best of luck, and looking forward to your posts!

Natural material Artifact Fungus Fashion accessory Rock
See less See more
Reactions: 2
1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Howdy @Morel Insanity
Wade here...
Ok.. Glad to See you with us Again..
I always suggest going back a few years and Read Forward.
Come join in Our Indiana Conversation...
and other states as well..
"Love the Hunt"
Reactions: 1
@wade Hi and thank you for the welcome! I'll take a peek - just about to check on my little garden indicator ramp patch!
Woohoo! I've already started having dreams about morels. Thought I was going to be absent this year but back for another season.
Reactions: 3
I found these honkers on 5/7 last year, mid-HV. I thought this year was going to be early, but the warm-up has slowed a bit, so I'd guess we are on track for similar timing. What are you guys noticing in terms of indicator species?
False morel Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Mushroom

See less See more
Reactions: 5
I found these honkers on 5/7 last year, mid-HV. I thought this year was going to be early, but the warm-up has slowed a bit, so I'd guess we are on track for similar timing. What are you guys noticing in terms of indicator species? View attachment 41458
Howdy New York and Everyone
Wade here... 🤠✌
In Indiana
Seeming , Same as you have described, warm but now a cool slow back down to looking like gonna be Normal timing.. @wigwam
Thank You for Your Reporting Sir
Hi Wade!

Wig, My indicator species is lawn. When you hear the first lawnmower the morels are just peeking through the duff layer. By the time lawns are being mowed the second time then the morels are harvest-able.
Reactions: 4
Hello fellow shroomers. Oh so can't wait. Just finishing my trapping season. Hopefully we all have bountiful harvesting this year!!!
Hi Wade!

Wig, My indicator species is lawn. When you hear the first lawnmower the morels are just peeking through the duff layer. By the time lawns are being mowed the second time then the morels are harvest-able.
My neighbor was mowing his lawn this past weekend 🤔
Reactions: 3
Last year I spotted my first morels 4/18 earliest I've ever seen them. Weather up here not ready yet but it's coming.
Last year I spotted my first morels 4/18 earliest I've ever seen them. Weather up here not ready yet but it's coming.
Locations?
April 20 (2012) was the earliest for me here in 6S (Utica area). Yellow morel that is, no Blacks to be found in my hunting areas.
I check my early PGs but I don't scrape away the leaves looking for the first one. I just check on the progress from a distance to avoid damage until they are ready to harvest.. Good luck this year, enjoy the woods.
Locations?
I'm in southern st Lawrence County. I haven't looked fir any signs yets.
April 20 (2012) was the earliest for me here in 6S (Utica area). Yellow morel that is, no Blacks to be found in my hunting areas.
I check my early PGs but I don't scrape away the leaves looking for the first one. I just check on the progress from a distance to avoid damage until they are ready to harvest.. Good luck this year, enjoy the woods.
I heard that when the maple leaves get to be quarter sized the morels are out is that true?
I heard that when the maple leaves get to be quarter sized the morels are out is that true?
Or when oak leaves are the size of a squirrels's ear? Hardly a standard unit of measurement! ;)
Hey everyone..
Soil has to reach 45 to 50 F.
Leeks are going crazy
Gyromitra korfii in Ulster County. Anyone know the timing of their emergence wrt morels?
Hey everyone..
Soil has to reach 45 to 50 F.
Leeks are going crazy
Leeks, or "ramps" as we call them in NE Ohio, are indeed up. I took a walk along a hardwood ridge the other day which should be warmer than the bottomland I found the ramps in, and there was absolute NO sign of may apples at all! Very little green out there! We are behind. It was a really cold Winter, and it hasn't been all that warm a Spring. I don't mind the slow warm up, as long as we don't have any wild temp swings!
Sping is Springing..
Paitciance.
Weather and activity is close to last year.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.