Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Never found a Black here in Oneida County.
The past couple years I've found ~100 blacks in Central NY area. Last year was an absolute bonanza. This year I checked my PG religiously since mid April. I found a single small black a week ago that I didn't pick so it could get bigger. Three days later I went back to check on it and someone had picked it. 😠 That was the only black I've seen all season.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The past couple years I've found ~100 blacks in Central NY area. Last year was an absolute bonanza. This year I checked my PG religiously since mid April. I found a single small black a week ago that I didn't pick so it could get bigger. Three days later I went back to check on it and someone had picked it. 😠 That was the only black I've seen all season.
Yeah that's weird that I haven't found any. I hunt in several locations and spend a decent amount of time in the woods. What kind of habitat did you find said Blacks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It has been very dry here (Orange County). We were hiking in Harriman State Park Sunday and when we were leaving we were rerouted because of a fire in the park. It rained yesterday and I went out today but still nothing in my spots but the conditions seem right so hopefully after it rains Wednesday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have not gone out looking in Rensselaer County due to the cold weather. May 18 is usually a good day for yellows in a typical year here. With a sudden transition to 80-degree weather next week, I'm hoping for a soaking rainstorm afterwards.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You say it is the droning of the mower. I say, I wait until Geo posts that Utica Club, then it is on. No more guessing.
I went out not expecting to find too much. I went to my favorite PG and in particular to "Old Faithful", a apple tree that I have been harvesting morels from since 2008. It has never failed me since that initial find, who knows how long these morels and apple tree have been mycorrhizal partners before that.. I visited this same spot about a week ago and saw a couple just peeking thru, so I repeat, a lot happened this past week.
As a side note: My lawn is just about ready for the second mowing.
Good luck to all! Enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
861 Posts
View attachment 42975
Only 10 today. Checked one new area nothing there. Hit 3 pgs left 15 to 20 to grow. I do believe it's still a little early up here. Will check a few spots tomorrow before mother's day dinner.
I agree that it is still a bit early. Thankfully you have PGs to check. No morels for me yesterday but picked a bunch of fiddle-heads! It was a glorious day to be in the woods.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree that it is still a bit early. Thankfully you have PGs to check. No morels for me yesterday but picked a bunch of fiddle-heads! It was a glorious day to be in the woods.
Excellent Geo. Oh boy those fiddleheads will be delicious. . Yes the weather is making it perfect to be outside.
It's is really nice to have pg. That's what I hitting today.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts