Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anybody remember ol' Forgy here? It's been a little more than 2 decades since "the good old days" when I used to post here all the time. Now residing in the northern parts of the Chippewa Valley. Not as many morels up here, but still a great place to live. Yes, it turns out I'm still living!
We had less snow than usual this winter, but still a good amount compared to the southern half of Wisconsin. Still not sure how much that effects the morel season, but it's a factor. On the other hand, we are having a wet and cold spring so far. This season could go either way. Too much ground moisture saturation might kill 'em off in some areas. With the slow steady progression of spring weather, I bet it will be a good good year for morels! Now, if I can only find some up here...

·
Registered
8 Posts
2 decades? Hard to believe the internet has been around that long, lol.

On a positive note, the Illinois board is showing its first find from northern Illinois.
I know. I think it was pre-Blackberry if you can believe that. Morels.com was different back then, but it did have forum threads for each state like they still do. Also the Wisconsin board always talked about the morels being found in northern Illinois before our season started. LOL...some things never change!

·
Registered
60 Posts
well, I've been waiting for the Wisconsin Morel season to start for what feels like an eternity. I've been posting some of my stuff in the Indiana post recently. Just found about 50-60 elm trees yesterday, most of the trees are small but could still be really good. Also has a good mix of Oak, White Aspen, Ash, and about 100 apple trees so I'm pretty pumped. If you want to see some pictures, go look at Indiana. I'm in Polk and Barron County area and looking at the 2-week forecast I'm pretty excited. Praying that we have a strong season on 2022 Morels!

P.S. WATCH OUT FOR TICKS! WAS OUT A WEEK AGO AND FOUND 7 SMALL ONES.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I permethrined my hunting clothes today. Have to remember to put the picaridin based bug repellent in the kit.
Out of the past four times I've been in the woods, twice I was too excited to remember to put on bug spray, and both of those times I brought home a live tick. The other two times I sprayed myself down with picaridin and did not bring home any ticks. Additionally, I eat lots of fresh garlic and have yet to have a tick bite me. Supposedly they don't like the smell of garlic coming through your pores. I don't use permethrine. For what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts