Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reporting from southwest corner, picked a patch of yellows that still had a couple days before the heat comes, about a half pound. The patch was on the top of a south hill with full sun. Spied another patch on my way out with six that couldn't have broken soil more than a day or two before I saw them. Same hill, near the bottom. I'm hoping we get enough cool rain to balance out this 80 plus degree week and keep them going, but either way I'm going to scout more in two days. My thoughts are if you're in the south, it's prime time to find the early bloomers and hope rain extends the season for another week because if it does they're going to be nice-sized on every side of the hills.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this may be a taboo question, but would anyone know any spots in the Green Bay or Brown/Kewaunee County area I could forage for morels? I used to have a honey hole in Door County that's been widely exposed now and it's just not worth the trouble. I've been looking around here for 2 years with no luck. Seems like folks have a firm grip on the good hideaways round here LOL. PM me If anyone is willing to throw some wisdom my way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Season's over in the southwest corner. My patch was there and had grown, but was drying out rapidly, one was even starting to rot, and despite risking heatstroke I couldn't find a single new morel anywhere. We didn't get the rain we needed here to keep the soil cool and moist enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took a second look when it had cooled off a bit, found another patch in heavy shade and vegetation. It was near the bottom of a hill facing westerly. Most of those were still fairly healthy, which means the southwest still has potential for finding them for another day or two. We really need rain and a bit of cooling or it's done down in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Grateful for water today. 93! Went out and checked a few spots SE state line for only an hour or two and nearly acquired heat stroke! Not a dang one. If any pros wanna brave the heat & go out in SE wisco with me… please! Misery loves company! Lol It’s not all a loss, I did find about 5# of young dryads saddle so I’ll fry that up as a consolation prize. View attachment 43277

·
Registered
2 Posts
21 - 40 of 81 Posts