Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nothing in Waukesha County right next store. The ground is relatively dry, though damp under the heavy growth. I'm afraid we'll see bust for 3rd year straight here (NE corner of County).
I take this back. The rain must have helped. I found 1.5lbs in one small area tonight. It got dark too fast to check the deep woods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found a nice healthy but young patch by Chippewa Falls a few days ago. Been searching known spots around Chippewa and Eau Claire, and have been noticing far fewer freshly-dead elm trees everywhere around here. All the old haunts only have the old dead elms that don't produce anymore, and maybe one or 2 viable host trees. So far, most of them have had no morels. IDK, but the conditions seem excellent for morels, BUT the dead elms aren't there to host them. Anyone else seeing this? I've long been impressed by the cycle of elm tree life, always dying off, yet still thriving. This cycle sustains the morel habitat nicely. This year, I see a lot of thriving, but FAR less dying. Our ash trees, on the other hand, are dying off more now, thanks to the EAB bugs.
I am feeling pretty grateful for my nice little mess o' shrooms so far, but not so optimistic about future harvests.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts