Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check on one of my early spots today following the warm rains 2 days ago. Found 3 tiny blacks in Jefferson county which is in north central KY along the Ohio River. The earliest date for me to ever find any prior to
this was 3/16 last year and that is after 27 years of hunting these things. Amazingly early.

·
Vendor
202 Posts
ricard76, I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I do know that if it snows and/or cold snaps from this point on it will be bad for the season!

Best of luck and keep us posted. I will do the same as I plan to go on Sunday, also along the Ohio River.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ah Ricard76 I was afraid of this and its kinda of making me nervous after last year, which was my worse year yet. I am praying that we have no more cold temps or snow. I am really hoping this year is better. I didn't even get a hen of the woods last fall so its been a long dry spell here and this girl has been dreaming of morels since last year. I've never had much luck with the blacks but I'll be checking some spots for sure and let you know whats going on here in oldham county. Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! Hard to believe so early! I've been out searching in Cincinnati OH for the last week with all the rain and warm weather-but had no luck. I just moved here this past year from northern OH on Lake Erie. With as cold as it stays there from the lake affect the season is generally a few weeks behind normal. Last year when I moved I was too late for the season here. I was an avid hunter back home, and had many "honey spots" so much that I'd give lots of the morels to friends and family. I can't seem to locate any here. There is no communication in the OH message board-so I thought I'd join here and reach out! Any suggestions for me in this new territory would be greatly appreciated guys!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott and Glenda, I hunt primarily in north central and central KY but I believe you will find Grant county morels in similar environments where I typically find most of mine. The blacks seem to prefer North and East facing hillsides consisting primarily of a poplar and hickory mix. When I search an area for the 1st time especially if I'm not certain blacks grow in that specific area, I will start at the base of the hillside in the morning with the sun to my back. The sun will allow you to pick out the blacks amongst or slightly under the leaf litter. When you find the 1st one, stop, mark it, kneel down and search thoroughly 360 degrees. You will almost always find more than 1. The smaller yellow/grey/ white varieties will grow in similar areas but will pop a week or 2 after the blacks. As for the Big yellows (that will initially pop as a grey), creek bottoms are my favorite areas to search concentrating on searching around live sycamore, dead or dying elm and live ash. Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went back today to the spots where I found the 3 last Friday. Found 3 more, all still very small 1-2 inches. The 1 that I left last Friday to grow doubled in size from 3/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw a report on another forum today of a fella who found 84 blacks today in Allen county near the KY-TN line. Better pick any that you find before Friday night freeze.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hunted a couple of spots this afternoon, 1st in Jefferson then later in Hart county near Mammoth Cave Natl Park farther south. Found 6 in Jefferson and 13 in Hart. Some of these just fruited most likely after last nights rain in Hart. Some
we're less than 1 inch with the 3 bigger ones only being 3 inches. Picked all of them due to the low 20
Temps coming tonight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1st time out today since the 10th. Found 7 blacks in the Louisville Metro area. The tip of 1 had been damaged by the freezes this past.
week but the others were not damaged by the sub freezing temps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
5 of the 7 I picked Sunday. Posting the pic to show what happens when the tip of the shroom gets frostbitten or frozen. The one on the far right was damaged by the freeze. After about 6 hours soaking in water, it regained most of it's original shape.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts