3/3/2017 and they are up already.

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by ricard76, Mar 3, 2017.

1. ricard76

ricard76 Morel Connoisseur

Picked 21 really fresh blacks this afternoon in The Louisville metro area. Several were 3-4 inches tall and looked as black
    as coal against the light colored leaves. Also picked almost a pound of fresh oysters. Just finished making a batch of cream of oyster/morel soup.

2. ricard76

/Users/b1jg/Documents/Image%20(002).png

Pics of yesterday's finds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017

3. ricard76

[​IMG]

4. ricard76

Had a short hunt this morning in the Louisville metro area in the spots I have been picking the last 3 weeks and found 11 blacks. Starting to find a few on east facing slopes. Most have been and still are on the ridges.

5. ricard76

Hunted my farm this afternoon in the Mammoth Cave area and picked 79 blacks in various stages of maturity. A few were past prime and very few that were small. Checked my patches that produce the small yellows/greys but didn't find any. Mayapples were just starting to pop with a few opened up.

6. myfinds65

myfinds65 Morel Enthusiast

So far we've found nothing here in north oldham county but I'm hoping that's going to change soon. I've never had much luck finding the blacks and we seem to run a little behind jefferson county. I hope your finds ricard76 are a good sign for the season :)

7. cpolivick

cpolivick Morel Enthusiast

Good morning, looks like some of you guys are having luck up around northern/central KY! I got in the woods for the first time a couple days ago and did not find a single mushroom. I'm still a rookie and have only been hunting a few times and that was just last year. I live in the western most part of KY near the Mississippi River. I think it is still a little early and that the weather/ground temp hasn't got just right yet. I remember last year it was about the 2nd week of April that we started finding a lot of them. Hoping in the next week or 2 I can get in the woods more and find some!

8. ricard76

[​IMG]

pic of the ones I found yesterday in central KY. This will give everyone a good perspective on how far along they are.

1 person likes this.
  9. jand

jand Morel Enthusiast

Went to a few of my early blacks spots today and didn't see any. May apples seem like they are just starting i'm thinking in 5-7 days it should be on good. For the nky cincinnati area if the weather says like it has been the past week.

10. ricard76

Starting to see multiple reports of blacks and greys being found in southern and central KY. This rain looks to be covering most of the state. Picking should be excellent this weekend!

11. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Black season seems to be winding down in the 2 areas in Ky where I have been picking the past 4 weeks. Half of what I picked this weekend where past their prime. I did pick my 1st greys and yellows of the season. 4 small greys/yellow in Hart county and found 12 of the bigger variety of greys/yellows in Jefferson this afternoon. Picked the
    4 biggest and left the others to grow.

12. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Yellows are starting to pop in Jefferson county. Found another 13 today in varied sizes and color fazes from grey to yellow. 2 of the yellows were prime. Got another good rain tonight so they should keep on coming.

13. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

The rains are getting them popping. Picked 37 nice big yellows and greys today in the Louisville area.

14. cpolivick

cpolivick Morel Enthusiast

Found a few down in Hickman County, KY yesterday. Not much but it was my first finds of the year. IMG_2211[1].JPG

15. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Was able to pick another 50 2-5 inch greys in the patches that I picked earlier
    this week. Getting really timely rains that have them popping. Almost all were found near elm and ash trees in or near creek bottoms.

16. parrothead

parrothead Morel Connoisseur

Rick you are a morel machine. I am an hour north of you in Seymour and nothing yet. Usually do pretty well. Got me a little worried to be honest. I see finds up north of Indy already.

17. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Parrothead, You should see them soon considering you have had quite a bit of rain also. I see them earlier here in the metro area due to the warmth from the city. My Louisville patches come up a few days earlier or around the same date as my patches on my farm 80 miles S of Louisville. Also found 20 Verpa Conicas yesterday which is the hollow false morel. Anyone eat those?

18. donna hale

donna hale Young Morel

We found one small black morel today. I think the season is winding down. We are in Trimble county

19. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Got back to pick patches in central ky where I found the my 1st small greys of the season. Surprised that I only found 4 more this morning along with 1 old black.

20. John Green

John Green Young Morel

04-09-17 Found my first batch of the season in Elizabethtown, KY.
    0409171234-1.jpg

Jacob Meadows likes this.