Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On old door screen in a dry basement ( low humidity)fan under/over...(started dehydrate process on Sunday
Question is I hear folks say they need to be dry like a cracker( some of the small ones are already the size of my pinky and still not that dry) I knew they would shrink but I'm scared I may be destroying them b/c of there shrinkage percentage?
this was start size and I'll take a " now" picture when I get home...
They look pretty sad now but alot of what I read is rehydrated there still good?( Can't imagine what or how long would bring them back to full size?) I know soaking them but man there sad looking now...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Morels dry and reconstitute just fine. The fresh morels you started with were probably 85-90% water! When dried you want them like fresh potato chips. Put them in some water or milk to reconstitute. Have you ever had one of those sponges that starts out like a little wafer and expands to normal size once you put it in water. That's what morels will do. And drying can concentrate their flavor.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hunt4shrooms - from the picture it looks like you had rinsed or soaked the morels first. They appear wet in the pic above. This is a heavy load to try to dry with basement temps and ambient humidity (dehumidifier?).

Check out the active topic Drying Morels under the Pennsylvania Forum. Good current exchanges and advice there.
I dried Morels in the basement before getting a dehydrator, but in the very dry air stream coming from a dehumidifier. They would be dry the next day.

Please post your 'now' pic and others can learn from this, too.

Happy Hunting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts