Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The season could well start this year in February for Alabama. It has started in February for at least the last 3 years running. Ground temps near Bham have a ways to go; 2,3,4 weeks or more depending on the weather. My hunting partner and I are watching our spot that is dozens of miles south of Auburn, Al. At this location the soil is warming and air temps are forecast to be averaging hi 64 and lo 47 for rest of January. If that verifies and it doesnt turn back real cold in February we may venture out around Feb 5th or Feb 10th. Definitely time to watch soil and weather forecasts from Augusta to Dallas and points south of that line

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thoughts on Alabama timing. South Alabama should start last few days of Feb. or first few days of March. And by South Ala, i mean any hunting near the Selma/Montg./ Phenix City line and points south. Im guessing my metro Bham spots will start somewhere in March 8-14 range; of course weather dependent, and if we get another super chill week like this week is; that would cause more delays in morel commencement..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chonas, i tend to think first finds in South Alabama these last few days of February. My Bham spots start March 4-9 range and Huntsville start March 10-15. Hey it doesnt hurt to look early. My dad and i hunted at our s alabama spot Feb 11 & 19; and were going tomm/ friday (26th).. i just hope we have a fruitful season whenever it does start

·
Registered
82 Posts
Checked on Sunday. Trilium and mayapples just coming up, saw my first 2 cherry trees in bloom.

4 inch soil temps for past 24h are:55-62.6
8 inch soil temps are: 55.4-57

Nighttime cooldowns next week make me think if fruiting has begun it will be stunted, if they haven't we'll have some in 2.5 weeks.

https://wx.aamu.edu/ is where I'm checking soil temps btw.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chonas, thinking March 13-17 start sounds about right for Huntsville. I expect my Bham earliest spot to start any day now or wait til March 7,8 at the latest.. but i cant argue with these morels. Theyve surprised me starting early and surprised me starting late. My dad is checking Barbour cty tomm (2nd), and i will check bham spots Weds. (3rd). We are to the point we are checking everyday and at least every 2 days no matter what.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No finds on 3/2 or 3/3 in bham or barbour county. Hunting bham again 3/4 (thurs) and heading south to barbour county 3/5 (fri)..its everyday or at least 6 days a week... they are close and temp forecast to be normal to slighty warmer than normal... keep the 77 and 80 heat away. 65-72 for highs is just fine

·
Registered
107 Posts
They were found in Stockbridge GA yesterday afternoon, 3/4/21. So check your latitudes. It appears to me to be on just about the same latitude as central Birmingham...This was the first find of the year on the East Coast that I have seen reported. The finder did not have a time-stamped receipt, but I am familiar with her, and she found a lot of them last year, so I am pretty sure she's for real. She had photos, said they were small, and she was waiting for the weekend to pick. They are kind of late this year and the weather over here is HOT in the afternoons. No rain predicted for the next 10 days...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice JK117! We’re you looking in central or northern Alabama? Also when you say early spot are there terrain features you think makes them come up sooner or does it just happen that a certain patch comes up before the others? Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice JK117! We’re you looking in central or northern Alabama? Also when you say early spot are there terrain features you think makes them come up sooner or does it just happen that a certain patch comes up before the others? Thanks!
South facing hills produce 1st since the ground warms up faster that direction. At least in the northern states that is

·
Registered
24 Posts
It’s in Blount county. Warrior river.

Only reason I call it my early spot is it flushes usually a week before the spots I know of along the Cahaba river. It’s on the flat top of a slope that gets a lot of morning sun. It’s in a general east / south east facing side on the river.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts