1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Antigo Area

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by c8lyn, May 17, 2013.

1. c8lyn

c8lyn Morel Enthusiast

Has anyone found any in the Antigo area. This is my second year hunting, and I'd be happy to just find one! Any tips?

2. young_oakz

young_oakz Morel Enthusiast

you got maybe two weeks still Id say as youre further north than I am

3. c8lyn

c8lyn Morel Enthusiast

4. wausaushroomergal

wausaushroomergal Young Morel

found 46 morels in Wausau today by apple trees and woodchips.

5. trapperhub

trapperhub Young Morel

C8lyn, they are just starting in the area. All about 1-2 inches. Someone helped me along here a few years back by telling me to look for ash trees. Ones with moss a couple feet up from ground. Go from ash to ash and find some. Spend hours in the woods and don't give up. If you find one don't run and pick it, just keep looking there are probably more nearby.good luck! :wink:

6. c8lyn

c8lyn Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the help! I thought the season was just about over. I'm glad there is still hope:)

7. c8lyn

c8lyn Morel Enthusiast

went out looking this morning, saw a bunch of ramps and had 2 deerticks but no mushrooms! :(

8. trapperhub

trapperhub Young Morel

C8lyn,
    How goes the war? Hopefully no report means you're out pickin like a fool! I have found 5.5lbs by Wausau over the past three days. Some were big as pop cans. Some were over the hill and were left behind. I have reports of them being found by people in crandon so they have to be up by you. Happy hunting.

9. c8lyn

c8lyn Morel Enthusiast

That's awesome! I'm totally green with envy.
    We have been out several times, and haven't found a single one even by dead trees that looked to be promising. I have no direction where to go just wonder in the woods :-D

10. wisdreamer

wisdreamer Young Morel

We live in Aniwa area. Went out on Memorial Weekend. Found only about five below ash trees. Not a lot of success considering size of area we covered. This past Sunday my boyfriend was cutting firewood near the Wittenberg area. Found 6 or 7 under an Elm tree, they were huge, size of pop can or so.

We have some friends that are in our area and found what filled a 3 gallon pail today. Also a friend up in Antigo who has been finding quite a few while working, he cuts trees for a living. He has also said seeing more under Elm trees.

11. c8lyn

c8lyn Morel Enthusiast

thanks for sharing wisdreamer!