Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all -

I'm pretty new to mushrooming in Colorado - stayed in the Rio Grande area last summer and fell in love with it - so this year, I came down even before the snow was gone. Have never found any morels - not that I'd really even thought of hunting them before this year! - but would love to find some... have been reading tons about them, watching videos, learning all I can.

The only thing I haven't been able to find out is, does anybody ever find them in this area? I keep reading about folks up there at the Front Range picking them by the basket-full, but not a word one about this place. I've been spending a lot of time in the woods - up on Del Norte, Fox Mountain, all in the 8000'-1100' range - and there's nothing stirring, only last year's dried-up (or burned up) conchs and such.

So - is it just not time yet? Or do they not grow in these parts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Their there, I’ve been picking the last couple weekend due west of you, but the drought is making it tough this year with my “ hot spots” on producing a few here and there. Your elevation may be the issue right now focus around the 7500-8500 range north slopes and most of ours are coming in small valley bottoms and flats holding moisture. The ridges have been to dry. You have a lot of pine betttle down there find the areas with the most recent killed trees red needles is going to be your best areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, @jparr - that's super helpful, really appreciate it! Seems like I have to find some place a bit lower down... time to break out the ol' topo maps. I was out Durango way last night, and I noticed that it was deadly dry; that's a whole lot of standing tinder. Bet it's making a bunch of people nervous.

It's a little bit better/wetter this side of Wolf Creek Pass - I'm seeing plenty of runoff, and the slopes I've been climbing are holding a good bit of moisture - but given what I've been told about the minimal snowpack this past winter, I can only hope it lasts out the summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts