1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Any Ideas??

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by morel_master, May 1, 2014.

1. morel_master

morel_master Morel Enthusiast

i found 156 3-5 inch greys on this type tree, in 2010..ive not been able to identify for sure..figured id try to get some help on id

2. bryan

bryan Morel Connoisseur

Looks like Ash to me.

3. morel_master

i thought that too, but the bark comes off in huge chunks, very papery bark, also the wood seems very punky....i have only found morels on them when dead, or fallen or top cracked off....

4. eagle-eye

eagle-eye Morel Enthusiast

looks like Ash, ash bore beetle kill, ash trees have been good while dyeing, but thinning out and not producing , back in early 60s dutch elm disease killed off elm and remember as a kid they were good producers, I think a dying tree is good till it runs it course or a tree stump from logging

5. oldshroomer

oldshroomer Morel Connoisseur

yes, that an elm. if you look close you can see the little round holes made from the emerald ash borer! barks coming off cause it's dead or dying! Emerald ash borer is killing off all the ash trees!!

6. oldshroomer

oldshroomer Morel Connoisseur

OOPS! I meant to say that's an ash!! Not elm!

7. morel_master

the tree also looks a hell of a lot like a bitternut hickory....http://treebarkid.com/index.php/bitternut-hickory