Any luck yet in NE Kansas?

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by Shane Goettl, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Shane Goettl

Shane Goettl Morel Enthusiast

specifically around Milford lake are

Sadie Warner likes this.
  2. LFKhunter

LFKhunter Morel Enthusiast

Went out yesterday and checked a couple spots, nothing yet. Kinda might be a good thing since we are about to get a hard freeze again. I just hope we dont go straight from Winter to Summer this year.

3. Morelofthestory402

Morelofthestory402 Morel Enthusiast

I know there was a guy yesterday in Lexington NE found a few earlys along the platte yesterday or day before..think that area has been just missing a lot of the colder temps dipping down into the Missouri river valley lately..lot of sand out that way and ground temp pic he posted was at 50 something . The wife and I were looking at heading down to nw Missouri possibly next weekend

LFKhunter likes this.
  4. LFKhunter

Not surprised about the Nebraska finds, really got the feeling yesterday that the first little flush should poppin, probably are some earlys around here somewhere .Next weekend probably good timing for your trip to NW MO

Tamalama and Morelofthestory402 like this.
  5. Morelofthestory402

Would anyone here happen to know of any areas worth taking a look at in either nw mo or ne kansas??

6. Tamalama

Tamalama Morel Enthusiast

Those Okies are finding them in the snow. I've found them like that a few yrs back but it was late April/early May. I do recall I was wearing my snowpants and my winter coat...lol. I still found a couple dozen that day.
    I think I'll check a few of my warmer spots by the Kaw.

LFKhunter likes this.
  7. Tamalama

LFK...are you by any chance from Nebraska originally?

8. Tamalama

Any place you can find near the rivers. The might MO or the Kaw, I'd think you should be able to find them somewhat easily.

Morelofthestory402 likes this.
  9. LFKhunter

Nope, Nebraska is one of the few places I have never lived.

Tamalama likes this.
  10. LFKhunter

Yeah, like she says, the Kaw and MO rivers around here are good. Lots of good wooded areas to cover. I like finding smaller waterway near the big rivers. If you get down this way (Lawence, KS) we have the Wakarusa river ( Pretty much a creek) south of town. Always find new patches almost anywhere I look along there.

Morelofthestory402 likes this.
  11. Morelofthestory402

Thank you for the tips. Now just a little worried this weekend maybe just a tad early. But we'll see
    need out of the house anyway. Wish me luck ..keep ya posted if I have any

12. LFKhunter

Good luck! A friend just found a few greys apparently moments ago. Upper 70s for the next couple days ought to pop them up pretty good too

Tamalama and Morelofthestory402 like this.
  13. Tamalama

14. Tamalama

Thanks LFK! We looked yesterday without luck. Today's nice temps should do the trick. If we could get another shower, that would be even better.
    BTW.... I too am an LFK'r

LFKhunter likes this.
  15. hungryforshrooms

hungryforshrooms Morel Enthusiast

Any luck around the DG county area?

16. Tamalama

Sadly no. Looking at vegetation it may be some time next week if we're lucky.

17. LFKhunter

Not me either, havent been in full on hunt mode yet, but have checked a few spots. 2 of my friends have found several small grays and 1 little yellow. Red Buds opened up today, hopefully we get some of the rain moving through

Tamalama likes this.
  18. tickbait

tickbait Morel Enthusiast

I just went out today around Lawrence. I've got an Ol' Faithful tree that tends to produce some early season greys. Never in large number but at least I know when they're coming up. I found about 8 very small to medium greys, and the small ones were pretty old. Other spots yielded nothing.

We're still in the early season- the forest isn't showing a lot of activity yet. I didn't see any poison ivy at all and undergrowth was minimal. I hope that this isn't going to be like the last several years, where we see a weak early season followed up by a week or more of inhospitable conditions, and then a short late season. We've been having a lot of weeks in the past few years where the temperature was right, or there was plenty of rain, but rarely both at the same time. There are probably a good two weeks or so left in the season, I'd guess. I'm curious to hear what the rest of you think!

LFKhunter and (deleted member) like this.
  19. LFKhunter

Hey, yeah i hear ya .Its nerve racking . I have thought things were shaping up for a good season, and then the last cold snap gave me some doubts .BUT, I'm back to feeling pretty hopeful as long as we get some rain fairly soon .You are probably right about the 2 weeks, I feel like maybe 2 to 2 1/2 .But hell..who knows? My friends are finding a few here and there, mostly little grays, some fresh some probably frost bit and dry .
    I'm headed out now to check some spots, I will let you know .Good luck!

20. micomikey

micomikey Morel Enthusiast

half dozen greys in miami county (paola-ish) yesterday, 1-2"

LFKhunter likes this.