1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Any sightings?

Discussion in 'Vermont' started by Betsy Smith, May 6, 2017.

1. Betsy Smith

Betsy Smith Morel Enthusiast

I live in Chittenden County, anybody see any morels yet? I've moved to a new place, trying to get a handle on when to look.

2. Elias

Elias Young Morel

The last two pictures were found on May 5 in chitteden county, in the Champlain valley under a very dead ( no bark) elm. Then the first theee pics were found today may 8 farther south, maybe ten miles, in Addison county, under a dead elm ( fragments of bark left). Margins of hardwood forest with some white pine.

Attached Files:

Jasmine Vermont likes this.

3. Betsy Smith

Thanks Elias, I'm in Richmond on the Huntington border. It may be a little too early here, but I'll check my woods today.

4. Jasmine Vermont

Jasmine Vermont Morel Enthusiast

I've been checking Ripton and Bristol, haven't found any yet.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. Elias

Elias Young Morel

I haven't been having much luck, but people are finding them, some in chitteden and even in the north east kingdom. They are definitely up in places, but hopefully after this warm weather they will be more abundant. Really frustrating haha.

6. Betsy Smith

I think it's too early for us.

7. Wgrouse

Wgrouse Young Morel

Went out today, not expecting much. Much to my surprise I picked 25 and left many little ones. Windsor county, ash/hemlock, mostly near roads and trails. IMG_0039.JPG

8. Elias

Elias Young Morel

First pic found yesterday, Addison county

Second pic found today, blacks were found in the hills of Huntington, and the blondes under a dead elm in chitteden county, Champlain valley. Had to leave some massive ones that were too far gone.

Attached Files:

9. Jasmine Vermont

I think so too Betsy. I found a few half-free morels the other day but I think that was due to a micro climate. Most spots in the area have hardly any fungi at all but that area had a variety.

10. Jasmine Vermont

IMG_6444.JPG Found these today down in the valley.. My First True Morels!!! So excited!! I found a bunch of half-free morels past their time. All of which were found in a micro-climate.

Betsy Smith likes this.
  11. Betsy Smith

Finally! Some have gone by a bit, but I'll take them!! Going out again tomorrow 20170516_173909.jpg

12. Elias

Elias Young Morel

Nice those look good, are th y big blacks? what kind of trees were they under? I think the Champlain valley season might be on its way out. The ones I found today were either perfect or past prime, massive tho haha. I bet higher elevation will be here soon if not already.

Attached Files:

13. Betsy Smith

Yeah, they're black..along the side of the road..under a telephone pole, on the side of the road. West Bolton

14. Wgrouse

Wgrouse Young Morel

First yellows of the season. Windsor county, in a valley, about 400-500 feet elevation, definitely associating with ash. Checked other nearby locations and found some barely up, still gray, and not even up in other locations.
    IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

15. Susie Snow

Susie Snow Young Morel

We found these in New Haven during an outdoor education course.

Attached Files:

Betsy Smith likes this.
  16. Betsy Smith

Wow! Thanks for posting..I'm thinking there's still hope here.

17. Jasmine Vermont

My friend brought me a few handfuls of Morels yesterday that were found in Monkton the day before. The season's still on :)

18. Wgrouse

Wgrouse Young Morel

Picked 56 mostly giant yellows today, some were a little past prime, but I should add these were in a low elevation area. Sunday I was searching a much higher elevation and was still finding blacks still going strong, with yellows not fully developed. Last year a friend reported finding morels as late as June 10 on north facing slopes, so the "morel" of the story is elevation and exposure have a huge impact on where and when you find 'em.

Attached Files:

19. Betsy Smith

I've gone out the past 3 days...nothing

20. yanina

yanina Young Morel

Can I buy morels from any of you? We are in Woodstock but can drive anywhere to get them. Yanina