Are these white chanterelle?

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by timbox, Sep 20, 2014.

1. timbox

timbox Young Morel

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

That is not a white chanterelle timbox. Looks to be a Lactarius by the shape of the mushroom and gills on stem. Here in WI white chanterelles are uncommon if not completely absent. Chanterelles also have false wrinkle-like gills. I have no idea if that is an edible Lactarius. I would pass on eating it. Good luck out there, we just had 2 days of rain.

3. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Tim box them are not chanterelles looks like a mushroom that makes up a lobster mushroom but the host wasn't around

4. timbox

timbox Young Morel

Chellos and jmerx, thanks for your quick reply's :) It does seem to be in the Lactarius family and commonly found in Russia. I have many pine trees and I guess this type of mushroom loves the pines. I will keep reading to see if they are edible or not. The Youtube vids seem to think they are, I don't want to get sick or worse but there are so may and it just seems a shame.

Are there any local classes for mushrooms hunting in the mid West area of WI? I live in the near Tomah or LaCrosse area and would take the time for a hands on class if there is one out there.

I am guessing this is a good chanterelle then, mush smaller and the correct color?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help and what a great board.

Tim

5. chiro1973

chiro1973 Morel Enthusiast

Timbox,
    The forays are a great way to gain more knowledge. I just went to one at Devil's Lake on Saturday and got a great deal of info. I live in the New Lisbon area so if you're ever interested in hitting the woods sometime let me know.

6. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

You are welcome Timbox. The red mushroom in your hand appears to be a cinnabar chanterelle or Cantharellus cinnabarinus. Very tasty and flushing hard right now. Good luck.

7. timbox

timbox Young Morel

chiro1973, thanks for the invite, we will have to get together sometime. The Cranberry Harvest is starting today for me so will be very busy for a few weeks. I was lucky and did find a Hen of the Woods yesterday when I was out in the rain. Will clean it up and freeze some of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]