Featured Arkansas2018!!

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by glassman, Feb 22, 2018.

1. glassman

glassman Morel Connoisseur

I'm not liking all this rain. A lot of my honey hole will be flooded again this year! God luck every one. Seen a post where 1 was found in Alabama today. Won't be long!!

2 people like this.

2. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

Nice. I am going out sometime this weekend here in mid-Arkansas if I ever get a few hours without this crazy rain.

Thomas Dunn and (deleted member) like this.
  3. glassman

glassman Morel Connoisseur

Sorry I wad miss informed. It was in Georgia not Alabama

1 person likes this.
  4. Jbarr

Jbarr Young Morel

Hopefully it will be a great morel season! Good luck to you too!

2 people like this.
  5. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

I went out today. Looked along the creek. Nothing..... but I did find this

1 person likes this.
  6. jean marie

7. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Is that a knife or a spearhead? Awesome find! I would look around that same area for more of those!

2 people like this.
  8. David Rivera

David Rivera Young Morel

9. jean marie

Not really sure... I have found MANY different sizes and types on our property in last 5 years.

10. jean marie

I live in Arkansas. 41 miles SW of Gainesville, Mo in a small town named Yellville.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  11. Tekquera01

Tekquera01 Morel Enthusiast

Yellville Arkansas that is actually where we honeymooned at the Buffalo River Lodge Bed and Breakfast. A gal named Beth and her husband from Texas were running it when we got married in 2012!

Jbarr and (deleted member) like this.
  12. NanaKOB

NanaKOB Young Morel

New to morel hunting in Arkansas. Have hunted Nebraska and Iowa past years. Any recommendations for hunt areas in Faulkner County?

13. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/where-hunt/wildlife-management-areas/
    Above is a link to the AR WMAs by county. Check out Camp Robinson WMA for example. They did a large burn down there you could see from most of the Faulkner county earlier this year. I don't know the rules for morel hunting on WMAs but I do intend to find out. Or if anyone knows please report back here. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  14. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/general-hunting-regulations/general-wma-regulations/

It states the following:

On property owned, leased or cooperatively managed by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, you may not:
    • remove rocks, fruits, nuts, acorns, artifacts, plants or any other objects.
    I understand protection of natural resources and areas but soooo disheartening . . . don't you dare pick a wild blackberry or nut. I would not consider shrooms an object. o_O Just sayin' . . .

BooBooBear and (deleted member) like this.
  15. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

dang. I am not aware of morels being a major source of food for wildlife so I may call and ask anyway. But thanks for the info. They will probably say no.

16. jean marie

Some wildlife management areas you are able to gather ONLY what can be eaten in a day. At least that’s the way a park ranger explained it. But I would call first to confirm. No need to pay outragious fines just to pick morels. Even though we pay taxes to our government and this land is rightfully OURS.

Tekquera01 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. hstlrussell

hstlrussell Morel Enthusiast

in all national parks and national wilderness areas, you cannot "harvest" mushrooms, which involves cutting the mushrooms and removing them from the site. you can always enjoy them in the park, so if you're planning a camping trip, you can enjoy your found morels while you're there, but are not permitted to leave with them.

18. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

Hmm. Makes me wonder about all of these people are going to hunt mushrooms that talk of going to other states or specifically up on the Buffalo River in north AR. That is a national park. So technically walking out of there with a bag of morels is illegal? I think I know a lot of people personally who are not legally picking mushrooms, lol.

1 person likes this.
  19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

We need to get on the lawmakers. Pretty soon they will start making you buy a license. Then put a limit on how many you get. They think they are like an animal that will be back next year, instead of a fast degrading resource that must be harvested before it goes to waste. I usually see so many rotten morels toward the end of a season it makes me ill. Your taxes support all those areas and not getting to pick morels is just plain stupid. Out west they worry about the pro pickers that are selling them, but the same applies, why let them just rot?