Featured Arkansas2018!!

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by glassman, Feb 22, 2018.

1. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

I hunt with the Arkansas Mycological Society. We hunt parts of Ouachita & Ozark National Forests. Maybe should join in order to hunt? $15.00 a year dues, $20.00 for family. Will be hunting morels in Dover & chanterelles at Lake Sylvia.

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I would like to learn how to find chants. Never really looked for them. I just like spring time and morels. I do a lot of hiking in the fall but never pick any of the schrooms i see.

1 person likes this.

3. jean marie

Yellow chants are way easier to find than black trumpets which are chanterelles also. “In my opinion” yellow chanterelles are far superior to morels in flavor and texture.

4. jean marie

5. mistressmunin

mistressmunin Young Morel

That's a reasonable fee. Are there any segments of that group close to the Bentonville/Rogers/Bella Vista area? I would live to go mushroom hunting with some more knowledgable folks. I can find morels, but that's about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

Glad jean marie posted about AMS. I am sending in my $15 today to Jay. My question is what is the notification process for when the group hunts happen?

1 person likes this.
  7. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Kb ur missing out on alot of good shrooms

1 person likes this.
  8. jean marie

Jay will send out newsletters (mail) with the dates of the forays. Our first morel hunt will be in Dover (Ozark N. F at end of March or beginning of April). As far as I know, it’s only 1 group that hunts. We have gone to Devil’s Den in Winslow to hunt also. I have traveled 3 hrs (one way) to hunt at forays. You will also be informed via facebook when you join the group. I don’t have an FB account so I just wait for the newsletter.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  9. arkanshrooms

arkanshrooms Morel Connoisseur

Looks like it will be another week here in Arkansas. I always find Black Morels first under the wild Cherry trees. Then yellows about two weeks after that. Last year the first Blacks came up March 8th. I think it will be a week later at least this year.

2 people like this.
  10. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

I agree with you temps have been really low don’t mind having a later season but can’t wait to get out

mnhunter11 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

30 degrees in central AR this morning but the days have been near 60 or above. I'll go check things out as usual this weekend. I can't wait or these trips to start getting productive.

Jogged at lunch a couple of times this week and some yards are full of spring beauty and henbit. Also a few flowering trees that I think are saucer magnolias? Large purple blooms before any leaves show up. Good luck to everyone!

1 person likes this.
  12. tommyjosh

Looks like the temps are really warming up in the next week lows 50-55.

mnhunter11 and BooBooBear like this.
  13. NanaKOB

NanaKOB Young Morel

Yep just talked to Fish and Game and you cannot take morels on their land. Also talked to forestry but got my best lead on the river at Toad Suck. Calling Corps of Engineers next. Well this sucks......Even they said no.

14. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

You mention Toad Suck and that got me to thinking. Deltic timber leases a TON of land across the river in Perry county. There are a lot of very large hunting clubs over there and not all of the land is pine (though most is). It would be interesting to find a few folks in those clubs and ask to hunt on their deer leases. Might be worth a try.

15. hstlrussell

hstlrussell Morel Enthusiast

just morels? did they say?

16. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

May apple and trillium coming up at Pinnacle Mt state park in Little Rock. I always heard may apple came up a little bit before morels.

17. BooBooBear

BooBooBear Young Morel

Ok, I moved here 3 years ago come August. I have missed the last seasons and cannot wait until this weekend to go hunting. Went today with no luck. I have never been able to go at the right time. Anyone out there able to help in Bentonville area?
    This is my Birthday month and cannot wait to find some good surprises

18. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

I doubt they are up yet in NW Arkansas. I have been looking around LR and Conway and not seeing anything yet. That being said, with any luck we will all be finding them by the end of the month.

1 person likes this.
  19. BooBooBear

BooBooBear Young Morel

Right. I need some good hunters to lead me. ❤️

20. tommyjosh

Someone found some in sw Missouri could actually be pretty soon

mnhunter11 likes this.