Featured Arkansas2018!!

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by glassman, Feb 22, 2018.

1. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

sw MO has had at least 2 nights below freezing every week for hours at a time so no wonder what they found was just a little nub. It was also probably under a foot of leaves, lol. But I like it as a positive sign. I feel good about this coming weekend. I will take a leaf rake and a magnifying glass if necessary.

2. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Looking at the temps and they are really high in the next week

mnhunter11 likes this.

3. cajunshroomer3578

cajunshroomer3578 Morel Connoisseur

A057BD93-E72E-48B8-B02B-3CB235EDDD69.jpeg A5F280C8-C0FB-4583-B96B-288108263436.jpeg Hello fellow fungal freaks
    Daniel here(South Louisiana). Long time stalker, first time poster to this thread lol
    Lots of edibles down south but not a morel in sight ☹️ Definitely not lacking chantys. Been thinking about driving north in the future years and was looking for a little advice. Anyone hunt
    Felsenthal National Wildlife Refuge ? Is it too swampy ?

2 people like this.
  4. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Nice pics. Thanks for posting. "Kids 'n 'shrooms" brings out the 'joyful kid in all of us'.

Do you get lions mane, Herecium down your way?

5. cajunshroomer3578

Thanks....Look forward to showing the little ones what our land has to offer. If only I can get her to leave the videos alone for one whole day lol
    Work in progress
    Yes we do. I’ve found one fresh specimen of Hericium a couple years back(North Louisiana) and one way past prime just this past December behind the house while spot and stalking whitetail. Needless to say I’ll be at that tree next year waiting it out. Only bad thing is my bitter taste buds are very prominent. Had a hard time with them. Everyone else that ate them loved em. I made a sweet and spicy Thai sauce and threw it in the wok.

What’s your location?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Central OH. I Get a good amount of Lion's mane when the moisture is good. That you have in abundance I believe.

I end up dehydrating 80% of Herecium and powdering it and using it in cooked cereal and pancake batter and gravy. For me, reconstituting whole dehydrated Lions mane doesn't work for palatability.

I like to consume it regularly because it has medicinal, beneficial effects for nervous system/brain.

7. arkanshrooms

arkanshrooms Morel Connoisseur

Louisiana and South Arkansas are very similar. You need to get North of the Arkansas river, up onto the Ozark mountains to really find numbers of morels. I saw a photo of a morel from just North of Baton Rouge this year. I've seen a photo of one morel from near El Dorado, AR too, but never heard of any good numbers in the swampy South. They do find good numbers, some years, in Central Arkansas near lake Ouachita, Mt. Ida, Pensil Bluff, etc.

8. arkanshrooms

arkanshrooms Morel Connoisseur

As of today, I have seen photos of baby Yellow Morels in Crawford, Cross, and Benton, counties. Black Morels in Crawford county. All finds by friends or posters on Arkansas Morel Hunters on FB. All my personal spots that I have checked so far have been vacant of any fungi. LOL

9. tommyjosh

Yes there have been finds consistently now

mnhunter11 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. cajunshroomer3578

Thanks for the info

1 person likes this.
  11. glassman

glassman Morel Connoisseur

Yes. I'm the 1 who usualy post the numbers from that area, but it won't happen this year for sure! Which really stinks. My honey hole is under about 6 feet of water as of yesterday. And from the water line on the trees it had come down about 4 feet. My other spots on higher ground still have not started either. Good luck everyone.

2 people like this.
  12. hotdawg

hotdawg Morel Enthusiast

People r finding them in missouri. So they r in arkansas

1 person likes this.
  13. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

Found yellow, grey, and black morels in Sebastian co. the past couple days but the lack of rain made them sparse

1 person likes this.
  14. tommyjosh

Should be starting soon

mnhunter11 likes this.
  15. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

Found in Springdale, Ar today

Attached Files:

16. tommyjosh

Quite a few

mnhunter11 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Tekquera01

Tekquera01 Morel Enthusiast

Rotflmmfao!!! Only what can be eaten in a day????? Hell just between my husband and I we could easily eat a minimum of 100 in a day.

18. Tekquera01

Tekquera01 Morel Enthusiast

AWESOME Find Jean!!!! I may start scouting........

19. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Nice hit jean

20. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

Sorry you all. I did not find them. A member of AMS did. I should have stated “someone” in Springdale found them. Instead of “Found in Springdale” I apologize again.

2 people like this.