Assorted edible Mushroom in the Black Hills

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by jerv, Jun 12, 2013.

1. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

Substantial numbers of small puffballs up this week on the prairie around the hills. Most are less than silver dollar size, are found in groups of say a dozen and apparently are responding to the +3 inch rains of last week.

2. butchbob

Deerfield to hit a low of 34 and Rapid City 36 tonight the 3rd day of summer, just way too cold! A few oysters and boletes up now, but drought continues to impede mushroom harvest.

1 person likes this.

3. butchbob

King bolete found at Horsethief Lake (3 miles W of Mt. Rushmore), but worm infested. Great many puffballs, dime to golf ball size, 3-4 miles S of Sylvan Lake on 2-3 year old logging unit. Serviceberry and raspberry also ripe. Sure have gorgeous country here to forage!

4. NatureMarket

NatureMarket Young Morel

To all the people that don't believe there's gold in these thar hills...... Behold black hills chanterelles

Attached Files:

5. butchbob

Am outdoors 300-days/year and have not found a "true" chanterelle. Over the years I have found zero professional or written references to them being in the Black Hills either. So...congratulations! Any hints as to tree types, north-central-southern-eastern-western hills? It certainly has been a wet to very wet past 60-days and perhaps that is a factor. Please share more info.

1 person likes this.
  6. NatureMarket

NatureMarket Young Morel

Well found em three years ago in this spot but they only pop up when the conditions are just perfect, last two years produced nothing but two or three and this year there where tons. The area is in Lawrence county big open field with a mix of pine,oak and Aspen's surrounding it and they appear to be growing with the pines and small oaks. And thanks Butchbob that means allot coming from you, your almost a legend on this site me and my son are always jealous of all the mushrooms you haul every year.

1 person likes this.
  7. NatureMarket

NatureMarket Young Morel

Anybody know if there is some kind of mycology lab around sd where I can give them a sample? from what I've read there is a lot of different variations of golden chanterelles across USA and this might be a new rare type.

8. butchbob

Thanks for the kind words above. Audrey Gabel, author of the Black Hills 'Shroom book got her PhD in mycology at Iowa State. SDSU Brookings worth a call to point in right direction. Cal Berkeley and U Michigan had labs at one time. mushroomexpert.com possible leads. My best reference on western chanterelles is USDA-USFS General Technical Report PNW-GTR-576 dated March 2003 by David Pilz, et al and it probably is still available for download from the Pacific Northwest Research Station. The Black Hills are an isolated mountain island with east-west-north affinities having possibly distinct critter, plant, and as you note maybe even fungal communities. Please keep us updated on your most excellent discovery!

1 person likes this.
  9. morelhighground37

morelhighground37 Young Morel

I can vouch that chanterelles do fruit periodically in late summer early fall in the BH. I harvested them once a couple years ago in late September. I lived in southern Indiana for several years where chanterelles grow abundantly in old growth forrests there. I was very surprised to find them in SD! We were foraging for Kings at the time. ----I have great photos. I will try to upload them again later. The system is telling me I need 3 posts first to verify I am not posting spam.

10. morelhighground37

September 2014.jpg September 2014 [2].jpg

Jmay and (deleted member) like this.
  11. butchbob

Thanks for the photos, especially the in the ground pic. Know of a similar habitat in Lawrence County so will look next summer. Good kings you found as well. What are the white 'shrooms in your first pic, a puffball and unknown.

12. morelhighground37

The others are all various boletes. We checked this location for chanties again in 2018, but there was no fruiting. Conditions were extremely dry... not conducive.

13. Scott Wanstedt

Scott Wanstedt Young Morel

Anyone find elm oysters (Hypsizygus ulmarius) in the Black Hills? I found a few growing on live boxelders a week ago in the northern hills. I haven't been able to find a reference to them growing here.

14. butchbob

Scott - see the first posting on the SoDak Oyster Mushroom page on this site for reference to oysters on box elder. I can not find my copy of the paper at this moment to confirm species.

15. butchbob

Today we found several 1-2 pound King Bolete (Boletus edulis) at the headwaters of a small stream at 6,000 foot elevation. Sadly, they were too old to save for the table. All were found in spruce forest close to large groups of Fly agaric (Amanita muscaria) that ranged in size from tea cups to dinner plate. Also, we hear that others are now finding (red) lobster mushrooms and shrimp russula at high elevations in the central Black Hills. We are roughly 60% ahead of moisture on a YTD basis.

16. Scott Wanstedt

Scott Wanstedt Young Morel

Thanks for the reference. It took a while to find Ode's article online. Not much info beyond a passing statement of elm oysters in boxelder trees in SD. Article only contained a couple sentences mentioning oyster mushrooms on boxelder with little context. Other references elsewhere make it difficult to determine if oysters found on boxelder are of the true oyster type or 'elm oyster'.

17. maryc65

maryc65 Morel Enthusiast

Any ideas? In my yard outside Custer which is basically forest. 20190806_171159.jpg 20190806_171216.jpg 20190806_171159.jpg 20190806_171216.jpg

18. butchbob