Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
I guess if you're going to eat them that's the size you need to get. They were the first wild edible mushroom I tried, and they were far too big. I just trimmed off the edge, dusted in flower, and fried it. It was crunchy and tasted like melon rind! I guess it's a local thing, but by the time morel season rolls around here, the pheasant backs are already too big. I guess I'll have to get out earlier to get the babies, and also do some pre-season morel scouting.

Registered
Love them on steak! Any other suggestions? I kind of hold them up there with morels.
They are my first edible mushroom as well. I also think they taste a bit like melon rind and are a bit chewy. But the one thing that I think they are great for is mushroom jerky, especially with a very flavorful marinade like jerk. Once morels are over, I look for chanterelles and oysters over summer and then Hen of the Woods and boletes that are similar to porcini (boletus edulis) that grow in my area in the early fall. All of those are very good tasting I think and fairly easy to identify.

Registered
Thank you! I'm grateful that someone has finally agreed with me that "pheasant backs" taste like melon rind and are tough! "Chewy" is a kind way of describing them!

Of course I must acknowledge the range of human taste experience. I suppose, to some, that acidic and tough may be attractive!

This is entirely possible, but I find it strange. When I am fed a slice of watermelon, canteloupe, or mushmelon am I ever possessed by the need to eat the rind!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts