Badger State 2017 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by stcroix rob, Apr 4, 2017.

1. stcroix rob

stcroix rob Morel Connoisseur

Where are all you Badgers @ ? "OldElm" here.... Night time temps are creeping up, and we have plenty of moisture so the season is close. This new upgraded site/forum is pretty slick, so don't be shy, just give it a try.

Boiled Owl Eye and Radar like this.
  2. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Geezs it's almost reminds me of last year where it warmed up too fast then froze again. I hope the warm up is slow and steady with rain.

3. Shroomtrooper 1

Just permIthan my gear yesterday, put frontline on the dog where good to go

4. Raptor455

Raptor455 Morel Enthusiast

Hoping I can find a spot in the Madison area this year. Never been morel hunting in WI, so should be interesting.

5. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Elm just curious how's the ground foliage.? Wondering if its gonna be bugs and mushys. Or deep cover and machette. Anyway took a stroll tonight. Only thing we need is that water. Rain,rain that beautiful rain. Hope we get some...might have to run down ur way in 10. Thorns are getting dull around here. Bucky

6. Shroomtrooper 1

You shouldon't find some. Where have you hunted morels bevore?

7. Shroomtrooper 1

Wow I can't type tonight

8. buckthornman

Strooper are you having libations?

9. Shroomtrooper 1

Ha, no have to work tomorrow. Bought this new tablet, I am getting the hang of it. I have not seen much green out yet. Real warm this weekend. Going to scout this weekend a little. Might check my ramp and fiddle head spots to see if any small sprouts comming up. Can't wait..

10. Raptor455

Raptor455 Morel Enthusiast

This directed at me? If so, I always went to my buddies property in Michigan, just outside of Lansing. Unfortunately due to a series of unfortunate events, his place is no longer an option :(

11. Shroomtrooper 1

well same thing in WI Raptor, dead Elms, bark starting to come off. Googled the area around Madison looks pretty cool. Pretty far from me tho or I would help you scout it out. Northern Mich they used to find them around Ash but there wiped out almost now.

12. danse

danse Morel Enthusiast

Where are you at, OldElm? I'm just west of Madison. I'd be more than willing to forage with you. I'm a novice, but I found some morels last season. :) I know a decent spot here in west Dane Co.

13. stcroix rob

"danse", OldElm here, please excuse me but, I'm pretty jumpy about huntin with others after last spring. Ya see I hooked up with "Shroomtrooper" and took him to my favorite RAMP spot down on the Mississippi river bluffs, well after about a 47 minuet vertical climb up the bluff, just at the crest (eye level)we hit the mother load of all time. Yellow morels the size of corn on the cobb everywhere, well the next thing I knew I was back down at the bottom of the bluff!! I'm positive he gave me a shove!! Jeez thought I'd broke my leg & blown out both shoulders. He of course totally denies having given me a push over the edge. Glad I had the car keys, prob shoulda a left him down there, but I needed a driver.
    Dang it's fun hunting Morels & Ramps, I'm west and about three hours from Madison, but if you come up this way let us know, and we can hook up. I'll even invite the "Shroomtrooper" along.

14. Shroomtrooper 1

ouch, Old Elm was showing me some morels I overlooked and he tripped on a small sapling the city cuts leaving a 8 inch stump, said his shoulder still hurts. I skied 4 years ago and landed on my shoulder and it still hurts also. Hey we have alot in common oldelm. danse if you have a chance there is no better guy to going foraging with than oldelm. Just a super nice guy, and naive so you can sweet talk him and he will show you his spots, Ha. You know OldElm, when you landed after that fall there where 8 inch stumps around you, lucky I pushed you to the side of them, Ha.

15. Shroomtrooper 1

No need to thank me, thats how I roll.

16. Terry

Terry Morel Enthusiast

Badger Fan here, S.W. Wisconsin. can't wait for the Morels to start popping.

17. Boiled Owl Eye

Boiled Owl Eye Morel Connoisseur

Terry where did you find them pooping at?

18. Boiled Owl Eye

Boiled Owl Eye Morel Connoisseur

I'm new to all this, but it sounds fun.

19. buckthornman

what are the elm and strooper doing today? Where's the rat been as well. Probably in missoura hunting. I think I need to take a little sabaticle south. Feeling like a trip to iowa. Meet up with god. Go get wild! Bucky

20. stcroix rob

Buckthornman, "OldElm here". ShroomTrooper was supposed to be going out scouting all day today, maybe pickin watercress too. Haven't heard from him, mighta got lost, usually about now he starts to get kinda secretive!! Morel Rat bought some kind of beer business last winter so he's been pretty tied up with that, but he'll be out soon. Ya probably outta stay out of Iowa, or they'll turn ya into a Presbyterian or something. Anyhow hope to do some road hunting tmrrw, and check out some spots we found last winter. Peace & good pickin to you.
    Oh yeah, I cleaned out the wren houses, so let me know when yer "Wren-O-Meter" kicks in.