Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Badger State 2017 Morel Season

98K views 503 replies 58 participants last post by  Boiled Owl Eye 
#1 ·
Where are all you Badgers @ ? "OldElm" here.... Night time temps are creeping up, and we have plenty of moisture so the season is close. This new upgraded site/forum is pretty slick, so don't be shy, just give it a try.

#5 ·
Elm just curious how's the ground foliage.? Wondering if its gonna be bugs and mushys. Or deep cover and machette. Anyway took a stroll tonight. Only thing we need is that water. Rain,rain that beautiful rain. Hope we get some...might have to run down ur way in 10. Thorns are getting dull around here. Bucky

#13 ·
"danse", OldElm here, please excuse me but, I'm pretty jumpy about huntin with others after last spring. Ya see I hooked up with "Shroomtrooper" and took him to my favorite RAMP spot down on the Mississippi river bluffs, well after about a 47 minuet vertical climb up the bluff, just at the crest (eye level)we hit the mother load of all time. Yellow morels the size of corn on the cobb everywhere, well the next thing I knew I was back down at the bottom of the bluff!! I'm positive he gave me a shove!! Jeez thought I'd broke my leg & blown out both shoulders. He of course totally denies having given me a push over the edge. Glad I had the car keys, prob shoulda a left him down there, but I needed a driver.
Dang it's fun hunting Morels & Ramps, I'm west and about three hours from Madison, but if you come up this way let us know, and we can hook up. I'll even invite the "Shroomtrooper" along.

#14 ·
ouch, Old Elm was showing me some morels I overlooked and he tripped on a small sapling the city cuts leaving a 8 inch stump, said his shoulder still hurts. I skied 4 years ago and landed on my shoulder and it still hurts also. Hey we have alot in common oldelm. danse if you have a chance there is no better guy to going foraging with than oldelm. Just a super nice guy, and naive so you can sweet talk him and he will show you his spots, Ha. You know OldElm, when you landed after that fall there where 8 inch stumps around you, lucky I pushed you to the side of them, Ha.

#20 ·
Buckthornman, "OldElm here". ShroomTrooper was supposed to be going out scouting all day today, maybe pickin watercress too. Haven't heard from him, mighta got lost, usually about now he starts to get kinda secretive!! Morel Rat bought some kind of beer business last winter so he's been pretty tied up with that, but he'll be out soon. Ya probably outta stay out of Iowa, or they'll turn ya into a Presbyterian or something. Anyhow hope to do some road hunting tmrrw, and check out some spots we found last winter. Peace & good pickin to you.
Oh yeah, I cleaned out the wren houses, so let me know when yer "Wren-O-Meter" kicks in.

#21 ·
You,ll be the first to know when I see that wonderful little sunof ab#$$! And yes we all get a bit reclusive around now. You will be pickin before me unless I get on those early blacks. But I will let you know. I really love this time of year. Things are happening. The woods keep going 24 hours a day. Thank god!! Buckthornman says almost time for some scars gang....

#22 ·
" Bucky," went nitecrawler hunting last night & got a nice haul, (figured out I might be getting to old to be crawling through people's yards with a flash lite, cant get up & sprint off any more when the yard lites start coming on!) The skunk cabbage is up, so your prediction of 3 week's out, is prob right on. Sure would like to head over & pick blacks with ya, if it doesn't interfere with my Blondies. I'm off for most of May.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.