Badger State 2017 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by Old Elm, Apr 4, 2017.

1. morel rat

morel rat Morel Connoisseur

I have gotten sick a couple times.. It was terrible.. lol
    And I believe it was the yellows, I have never gotten sick from the grays!
    And yes Wine does not mix so well, or any Alcohol.. doesn't mix well with the Toxins.
    Also I'm sorry she has had a Bad Month! Keep ur chin up Little Elm,, lol
    Peace out!

2. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Yea stay away from places that have too much concrete and idiots! And tell ms. Elmjr. Water,with a side order of water...plz later bucky.

1 person likes this.

3. gold diggers

gold diggers Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, When they start coming up through the parking lot, the season's has to be good! I like that pun, freeflow, "stalking" me. Keep having fun!!

4. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

That's cool. Over the years I have found 2. The dog walked inches from it and never smelled it

1 person likes this.
  5. Shroomtrooper 1

Wow just read your post about your daughters bad luck. Hope her spirits are still good, yours too.

6. jewelz

jewelz Young Morel

where are you located?

7. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Connoisseur

morels stalking me at the edge of the parking lot at my office.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jason Schnaare likes this.
  8. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

From our New York friend: Bigfish1212

Crisp up some pancetta in a pan then take out the crisp pancetta and set aside. Fry up your morels and some shallots in the pancetta fat until slightly browned then remove and set aside. Meanwhile take some boneless chicken thighs and coat in seasoned flour, after your mushrooms are cooked throw your chicken thighs in the same pan and brown on each side and remove. Then deglaze the pan with some white wine and reduce. And some chicken stock and put everything back in the pan and add your peas let it reduce and let your chicken finish cooking. Finish with some cream at the end.
    Enjoy http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums...9-D546-4CE1-A06E-780B25977722_zps3uqtgknf.jpg
    Bigfish1212, 10,000 taste buds AREN'T wrong. Your recipe was outstanding. I will not share my leftovers. No salt or pepper needed. The Pancetta was a great treat. A bit pricey for a cheapskate like me. I did add chicken broth and then thought it may be too runny, so i added cornstarch with the cream. I saw you served on a pasta side dish, could also use rice I guess. I wasn't having of that filler. What else you gotz...I'm cooking! Sorry to all, as I'm learning how to jumble multiple messages into one.

Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; background: none center top repeat-x rgb(252, 249, 247); border-radius: 4px;">
    • [​IMG]
      NY1.jpg
      File size:
      328.8 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY2.jpg
      File size:
      318.5 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY3.jpg
      File size:
      344.6 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY4.jpg
      File size:
      475.4 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY5.jpg
      File size:
      406.2 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY6.jpg
      File size:
      344.5 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY7.jpg
      File size:
      365.5 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY8.jpg
      File size:
      284.1 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY9.jpg
      File size:
      301.7 KB
      Views:

1 person likes this.
  9. muskykilps

muskykilps Morel Enthusiast

Dodge/Washington co

10. muskykilps

Biggest grey of the year today still fresh 20170516_182037.jpg 20170516_182037.jpg 20170516_182101.jpg 20170516_182037.jpg 20170516_182101.jpg 20170516_182101.jpg

Jason Schnaare likes this.
  11. muskykilps

Not sure why it posted multiple pics but still pumped to find a nice big gray right in my back yard

12. Boiled Owl Eye

Boiled Owl Eye Morel Connoisseur

i read on Facebook that the season is over, just thought I'd let you guys know.
    People who know, actually posted that this rain probably finished off all old yellows cause they were already past the prime & there's nothing left worth picking.
    So it was a short season this year according to them.

13. muskykilps

I
    I will disagree with that i have been finding fresh morels in dodge county yesterday Washington county they are starting to dry up but still should be good thru the weekend

14. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Connoisseur

that is correct .....don't bother. there are no more to be had. It's over. LOL. I became part of a FB group this year. Some pretty wild claims and questions there. "Hey, is this a pheasant back" ? LOL.o_O

I will be picking for another 2 to 3 weeks.....

15. gold diggers

I know where there are many small ones first beginning to show. At least it's not over in that woods.

16. gold diggers

Look for some different FB friends, Boiled Eye. I just got back from a short trip to one of my sweet spots where I picked up 2 pounds of these golds. I'm with freeflow; I'll be picking for another two weeks.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      187.1 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  17. Jason Schnaare

Jason Schnaare Morel Enthusiast

I found 3 more today while searching a new area. All 3 were found at the bottom of a north facing ridge along a creek bottom under decaying elm trees. Had to cut my hunt short because of my daughter's softball game. Hopefully heading back out tomorrow. Still have yet to hit a big find! Is it just the start of them showing up on the north side of ridges?

Attached Files:

18. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Over just ask bucky I,ll tell ya when its over! Get into them thorns and go get them damn mushrooms! It ain't over. Buckthornman :)

2 people like this.
  19. Shroomtrooper 1

Found 30 big yellows some fresh some a little crumbly yesterday. It was hard picking until I found a spot that wasn't hit hard. Big yellows are usually the ones that get missed that get to grow, and with the rain and cooler temps it is preserving them better.a lot of the ones I found where sitting sideways knocked down by the heavy rain.

2 people like this.
  20. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Trooper, been an awesome year. Between you & I we're well over 500 morels for this season, & if you add in BUCKTHORNMAN then we're probably over 515 !! Ha Ha