Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

441 - 460 of 504 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMG_3030.JPG
IMG_3001.JPG
I also have been hunting for close to 20 years and have rarely found them bigger than my hand. Found 5 monster yellows near one tree. This is how big they can get when your on private land and the weather cooperates. 45 minutes north of Milwaukee and found yesterday.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
View attachment 2008 View attachment 2009 I also have been hunting for close to 20 years and have rarely found them bigger than my hand. Found 5 monster yellows near one tree. This is how big they can get when your on private land and the weather cooperates. 45 minutes north of Milwaukee and found yesterday.
WOW..i am down south in Ind. with my mouth watering pal. next season i will be hunting up north for sure..;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
View attachment 2008 View attachment 2009 I also have been hunting for close to 20 years and have rarely found them bigger than my hand. Found 5 monster yellows near one tree. This is how big they can get when your on private land and the weather cooperates. 45 minutes north of Milwaukee and found yesterday.
All I'm seeing is Ones and Twenties...Anybody ever find Fives, Tens, Fifties or Hundreds? Season is over in Eau Claire. I don't want to say it was a bad season because its always beautiful being out inthewild, but my morel gathering is being rated 2.5 outta 10.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So if i had to rate my season i would give it a 4 out of 10 the weather just did not work in our favor for hunting the up down temps sucked people can claim climate change thats a bunch of crap the weather is never constant just have to deal with what the weather gives us

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
I would rate 2017 @ 9.5 outta 10. It would of been another 10, but ShroomTrooper & I didn't hook up, and that was my only disappointment for this season!!
Found morels on sixteen different outtings/days. Chased Em all the way from little gray April NIB's to Blown out Blondes. My last were on Sunday, but A friend & her daughter got these last nite.
Peace to all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
a 65 yr old morel n00b that has asked me how to find the finally found a motherlode....a 5 gallon bucket of them at one tree on his farm. He sent me a message asking what to do with them. I instructed to rinse/soak and place on paper. Well they have been in the bucket in his garage for 2 days...hasn't got to them yet. I advised him to get them in the fridge yesterday. this morning he tells me he filled the bucket with water this morning and will get to them tonight. grrrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would agree with Rob 9.5 out of 10 is pretty accurate. Found them just about everywhere I looked. My spots and many of other people's spots as well.LOL I found between 50 and 200 everyday for 16 days I am sure they are still going however the undergrowth makes it like work now I ended up with 17 quart jars

·
Registered
650 Posts
does anyone know about northern wisconsin up near the chaquemeqon-nicolet or the area around ottawa national forest how long their morel season lasts? I contacted a few different dnr offices up that way and got some helpful info and some not so helpful... lets see one dnr officer told me hes been trying to hunt morels up that way for four years and has yet to locate any, i find that hard to believe. i talked to another near ashland that told me they had started fruiting a week or so ago I have found morels in northern wisconsin as late as june 1st one year, just wondering if anyone has any insight on this years?

·
Registered
240 Posts
does anyone know about northern wisconsin up near the chaquemeqon-nicolet or the area around ottawa national forest how long their morel season lasts? I contacted a few different dnr offices up that way and got some helpful info and some not so helpful... lets see one dnr officer told me hes been trying to hunt morels up that way for four years and has yet to locate any, i find that hard to believe. i talked to another near ashland that told me they had started fruiting a week or so ago I have found morels in northern wisconsin as late as june 1st one year, just wondering if anyone has any insight on this years?
Elmgirl, I have never hunted morels in Wisconsin, but about 5 years ago I went backpacling in the boundary waters. On the way I stopped in chaquemeqon-Nicole forest. An area called the rainbow lake wilderness. It's close to Drummond Wisconsin. Beautiful area. I hiked in about a mile on the north country trail and spent the night. Don't know about morels, but it's a really nice area and I'm sure there's some kind of fungus in there you would like. Just a suggestion. Have a good trip.

441 - 460 of 504 Posts