Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
481 - 500 of 504 Posts
Land of the Giants. Came across an old apple tree today mixed in with dead elm. It was morel mania in there. Came out with 37 Giants. They were all this size. I had to use both hands to uncork them from the ground; the biggest, the size of a softball weighing about 1/2 pound. What a way to start wrapping up this season! I'm thinking of stuffing the big guy with something and frying it up as one meal. any suggestions? Also, I'm really wanting to reach the Morel Connoisseur status so can I get some "likes" on this post? Thanks for your support.

Attachments

Thanks digger! Thats my biggest one yet. Racine county. Yesterday, I found a longer one but shorter cap. Everyone whines about the underbrush getting too tall to see them but if you speed from tree to tree you'll spot a giant eventually.
Couldn't agree more. Thanks for the "like" Rookie.

Found 6 Giants after work today. They were still fresh; I also left behind an equal number of crusty ones. Looks like I'm hanging up the mushroom stick, washing the morel bag, shutting down the walkie talkie, and popping the batteries out of the Garmin unless someone can convince me otherwise!?

Unless you live in central minnesota and feel like a gnome that's been in the coal mine with a thicket of thorn! Still getting a few its between now but not impossible. I don't really want to come outta the woods!!! Think I'm going to set up shop fu$% it. Better here than ipad bad news o did I mention bad news.......I know gods coming! I know the world is polluted and not happy! I know! Mushrooms are still growing think I just stay..... buckthornman

The washing machine let's be a bit more respectful ear! How bout top shelf. Hey everyone had a notion. Why doesn't every person start a garden? Somebodywill like whatyou grow everyone can't plant something different!!! Wow what a concept. If you don't like what you grow maybe someone else will!!! Let me know your thoughts bucky...

The washing machine let's be a bit more respectful ear! How bout top shelf. Hey everyone had a notion. Why doesn't every person start a garden? Somebodywill like whatyou grow everyone can't plant something different!!! Wow what a concept. If you don't like what you grow maybe someone else will!!! Let me know your thoughts bucky...
Buckthornman, what part of the country do you park? You think God is coming back? I've heard the same for years. The world is an ecological mess, but the morels take our minds off all that. The elm are disappearing from Dutch Elm disease, but out of it come the morels. That's maybe why we look for them; to ignore doomsday; to engage in the fresh reincarnate life of the woods; to seek better news; to be carried away by the sight of a small conical shaped fungus that springs up from the ground and maybe it does so with a dozen others and then we lose ourselves in all of that excitement. Just for one month or so we are soothed.

It's the lull after the storm now, time to do some house chores for me. Even tho old elm found some chickens and making me want to hit the thorns, I have to catch up on a few things. I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post there stories, I really look forward to reading them every year. Seems like it was a great year.
Shroomtrooper, you're an icon. I enjoy your insights on morels and ramps. You were the guy this year that took the time to explain where to find ramps - thanks. Have a good summer- enjoy your shrooms.

I concur digger. Just thought for a moment. And yes the statement is great.trooper hats off to your year was one I'm sure you won't forget! I haven't forgot one yet. I just can't exactly remember...and yes thank you to all for your input (2cents). Bread crumbs make a loaf! Hope you all forage your way through summer and fall. And yep may this big blob of mest up water and shit keep turning!!! Or you can sing tom pence from the grizzly adams intro and enjoy the wild! Deep inside the forest is a door into another land, here is my life and home. We are staying..in the beauty of this place.....buckthornman

I concur digger. Just thought for a moment. And yes the statement is great.trooper hats off to your year was one I'm sure you won't forget! I haven't forgot one yet. I just can't exactly remember...and yes thank you to all for your input (2cents). Bread crumbs make a loaf! Hope you all forage your way through summer and fall. And yep may this big blob of mest up water and shit keep turning!!! Or you can sing tom pence from the grizzly adams intro and enjoy the wild! Deep inside the forest is a door into another land, here is my life and home. We are staying..in the beauty of this place.....buckthornman
buckthornman, you are the poet/philosopher of this forum. I enjoyed reading your thoughts, trying to uncover their meaning. "Deep inside the forest is a door to another land" I like this stuff! This is like finding morels under a living oak tree. Why an oak tree? And your humor - " I haven't forgot one(season)yet; I just can't exactly remember" Ha. This is like taking a hard fall over a hidden stump only to find a morel staring you in the face. Keep searching for answers, bucky. And keep sharing them with us. Have a great summer! Take care.

Geezs thanks. Sometimes the years just blend together, but there's always some moment you don't forget. Some you forget but something you see brings it back. Morels are so fun because you can plan but it's always the unexpected spot that gets you to look over that next hill.

481 - 500 of 504 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.