Bear lodge mountains

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by A-A-RON, May 28, 2018.

1. A-A-RON

A-A-RON Morel Enthusiast

anyone had any luck recently in the bearlodge area?

2. Mushroom Hunter

Mushroom Hunter Young Morel

This was my first year in the Bear Lodge Mountains and I found the mushrooms to be abundant and delicious. It helped that it was an extremely wet year for the area. I grabbed plenty of oyster mushrooms in May and June, but I missed the King Boletes that I think came up soon afterwards in late June. I did see lots of good Boletus barrowsii and lobster mushrooms in early July. Throughout July I stumbled across a few Aspen boletes.
    Later, I found a few turkey tails in late July. There were also a couple chanterelles but like the Turkey Tails, there was only one small clump. In early August the blewits started popping at the higher elevations, but I didn't like the flavor so I left those. Honey mushrooms had about a 10 day season in September and were delicious. I found them in mixed pine/aspen stands and when you find them you can usually find a lot.
    Unfortunately, I never found any morels and probably missed some other good edible mushrooms, but I hope this helps fellow mushroom lovers for future years.

1 person likes this.

3. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

Good finds and great post, I'm looking at Warren Peak as I write. Any pics of the turkey tails or chants? We've not found true chants or true turkey tails in the greater Black Hills mountain complex so remain curious as to your finds.

4. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

Edit - We do find turkey tails here. For some reason I was thinking only of rusty gilled polypores. Still have yet to find a chant here and with 6-10 inches of snow by Monday it looks like we will have to wait until 2019.

5. Mushroom Hunter

Mushroom Hunter Young Morel

Yeah. No pics as I didn't know either were so rare around here until later. There were literally only 3 chanterelles, but I am pretty confident that is what they were and had a couple other people concur. Hopefully next year is just as wet as this year and there are lots of great mushrooms again!