Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Beginner help

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Shroomtrooper 1 
#1 ·
Hi! I am a college student at the university of Wisconsin river falls, and I’m looking into trying to hunt for morels this spring. Any tips would be great! And if anyone would like to mentor me/ take me along I would be very grateful!

thank you!
John

#8 ·
Well, that was awkward...

Hello John. Wisconsin seems to be a great state to hunt. I’m from Ohio and haven’t ever hunted there. They do seem to do quite well there from what I’ve seen. The elm trees that have just died are what you want to figure out first. There’s a lot of information on this site to take in to consideration. A general rule that can be followed is when the lilacs are blooming, it’s time to go shrooming. They’ll be out there for sure then, but have also probably been out for a little bit too. Especially in microclimates. You’ll figure those out better with experience. I’d say when the dandelions start blooming in masses and the tulips bloom, start searching and focusing on south facing hills. Good luck!

#9 ·
Howdy John @JohnS42
and to Any New Folks on here.
We Welcome You to Enjoy and be Happy.
so..if you will go or have now gone back a few years and begin reading forward till present..
you be finding yourself self..
as if you are almost out there living and learning and exploring and enjoying right beside all of us Awesome Caracters..
Woodsman Outdoorsman Naturalist
self Reliant Last of the Frontiersmen..
its an Everything Read...
a Novel, a Poem, a Love story,
an Adventure, a Hunters log, and a Drama
a Comedy, a Documentary..
its Also a Family with a Love for the Hunt
its a Legacy..and its More.. its Anything and its Everything..
and any Questions that anyone has are already Answered in all our Pages and Postings Past...
After Reading You Should Feel Good..
You Will Know Us..
just all Good Good.. And Win Win
So John ...Read Read... Enjoy Enjoy
then Come back and Join in with us
and then Ask Questions..
Many of Us have Hunted, Hundreds and Hundreds again of Miles Loving looking Enjoying Learning.. Finding Morels and Other Fungi... and we are all good Friendly Folks here...
and We will Help You John..
Still i think Yourself putting in the Efforts Reading up to date Local and in near by States
is of the First and Most Help with Benefits you can gain in No other way.
go back John.. go back a few years
and Read who we are and where we've been .. Then Join in With us Now..
@JohnS42
Thank You Sir
from Wade..

#10 ·
If it's truly your first newbie year it's going to be tough you have to know what time to look and pretty much everything else is going to slow you down unless you already know your trees and plants well. The places that grow morels are usually pretty easy to access in public parks. Try to find a wooded area that has a water feature usually a creek is best. The first year you look for spots just run around like a maniac until you find some morels, then figure out why they're there figure out the pattern and repeat. Another clever way to figure out some spots is to hunt the people that are hunting them😉

#11 ·
I have only been hunting mushrooms for a few years, I stumbled across one and became obsessed. I read many about many states and years on this forum. Bought a few books and read. When I hike I take notes of soil temps, trees, plants, leaves, and anything that catches my eye. In the reading, notes, and observation it seems like when they are there, I have been able to find them. So like Wade shared read, and good luck. hikethehills

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.