Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey geogymn. Been following this thread for a few years now. Love the good info you dole out. Just giving my New York neighbors a heads up. Im in Ct.....specifically Western Ct. To my surprise I found 4 small to medium sized yellows today. Its an early spot but the woods didnt appear ready to give up a darn thing. Barely a leaf on a tree. Hardly any undergrowth. 2 of the morels were a bit past too. With the rain forecast and cooler weather...things are looking up. Thank you everybody on this message board. Good luck this year.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Geo the false morels are not hollow like the true morel n is there anything else that tell them apart ? Things looking really good here in St Lawrence county but not quite ready gonna check couple spots Tuesday. Hopefully the rain comes Monday

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've read that some people eat verpas but to those that have a bad reaction it's pretty ugly.Not worth trying! Hobler,they also have a cup or thimble-like cap attached at the top of the stem.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch,
Nice to meet you! Thanks for the compliment! I am generally reluctant to post any but the most basic instruction here as I fear the dispensing of false or incomplete information. Also I try to be encouraging rather than be boastful but like any hunter I do have an ego to feed. Thanks for the report as all findings are important both as data and psychological fuel.
Hobler,
I was going to slice one of those Verpas in half lengthwise and take an image but knew there are better images to be found online. With Verpa " the sides of the cap are not intergrown with the stalk as in Morchella" ( Dave Arora )
Lynk,
I also hear reports of people eating and selling!!! Verpas !!!. I wouldn't encourage the attempt to consume and would denounce the attempt to sell.
This coming weekend I would predict of finding some small morels if I go out, the following week I hope to be putting some in the basket.
Good luck to all and enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Geo...nice to meet you as well. I have the same feeling about the morels here. Going to find some stragglers then its picking time. Feel free to boast all you want. You work hard. Show off the fruits of your labor. Again...good luck all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thxs guys I just want to make sure what I knew was right I would never try to eat verpas. I have a few of my children who Lov eating mushrooms as much my wife n I do epically my 3 yr old. Gonna try n take her out this yr. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
290 Posts
GEO, I agree with your timing prediction and plan to see some little ones this weekend.Finally getting some rain in the past week or so.Can only hope it stays moist or I'll be pickin' them small.Would rather have them on a plate than have them wither in the woods.Happy Hunting!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oneida County, Valley of the Mohawk. The Verpas have popped up and they were plentiful. Conditions seem great so far. Next weekend I will find my first morels and the week after will begin the harvest, Lord willing and the creek don't rise. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time Morel hunter, so the consensus for the CNY is that the season is a bit late? I been out and looking and all I found are Dryads Saddle so far. No morels or Chicken of the woods yet.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First time Morel hunter, so the consensus for the CNY is that the season is a bit late? I been out and looking and all I found are Dryads Saddle so far. No morels or Chicken of the woods yet.
Check the Upstate NY thread. I know, I know Central NY is more accurate but that thread has been started and it is a good one.
By the way, the season in Central NY is happening right now! Get out there, enjoy the hunt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts