Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Howdy everyone go we doin this year
Hi muff, Not much doing on the pa site yet. Everyone must be waiting till closer to picking time. I hope everyone made it through the winter this year. I have been out looking for sheds and exercise a few times a week. I haven't checked my ramp spot yet to see if there were any pushing up yet, I did see that there were some blue bells starting in my area. Another month and then i will start checking a little more often.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Haha hell yea sounds like a blast yea I saw some Easter lilies started up and thought about checking ramps too haven’t made it yet tho maybe Friday or Saturday

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey everybody! Looking forward to hearing about everyone's adventures this season, and seeing the harvests!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
beagleboy, how is the shed hunting going? I haven't found any yet, but have had little time looking.
I haven't found any yet but have only went a few times lately. I have been helping stock trout and that has been taking up a lot of the time right now. A freind of mine has found quite a few but he has trail cameras out and when he sees a buck that has lost his horns he hunts the area hard.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't go out hunting for sheds on purpose, but you'd think with all the time I spend in the woods and fields, I'd have found at least one by accident! The only thing I've found in 50+ years is the skull of a small fork horn.

·
Registered
56 Posts
LOL I haven't found many looking for them, but have found my fair share. Most in area's they bed down, and where they cross roads with a nice ditch along it. Tend to fall off where they hop the ditch. A few where they jump fences.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Checked a spot today didn’t see nothin up in clarion county yet just starting to get leaves on the bushes tho maybe in a week or two these warm nights will get em goin

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Took a hike on a ridge that I usually find gyro's on today. This area will be at least couple of weeks before there will be any pickin' size. Some of the elms are getting seed pods though, but they are calling for some snow in the morning. I guess I will just fish next week. I don't like walking around good trees to much when its early because of the little ones that are tiny. When I check I usually check by staying well back. If I don't see any I know there isn't any that are big enough yet.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What are gyro's??
They are one of the mushrooms that some people call false morels. Gyromitra has a few different species but I have no trouble telling them from real morels. The verpa's are a little harder to tell from the black morels. Here is a picture of a Gyromitra from last year.

·
Registered
352 Posts
They are one of the mushrooms that some people call false morels. Gyromitra has a few different species but I have no trouble telling them from real morels. The verpa's are a little harder to tell from the black morels. Here is a picture of a Gyromitra from last year. View attachment 37266
Glad that was asked and answered, I learned something, thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
Okay, I hosed that all up! Tried to do something new that I really didn't know how to do! Gyromitra and Verpa are called "false morels". I can't really understand it in the case of Gyromitra since, to my eye, they look absolutely nothing like a morel! Verpa, on the other hand, fairly closely resemble the "half free" morel Morchella semilibera. There are 2 species of Verpa, Verpa bohemica and V. conica. They are still easy to tell apart. Just look inside the stem. If there a white, cottony fuzz inside, it's a Verpa. All true morels are completely and entirely hollow.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts