Big yellers here

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by mushroomcommander, Apr 7, 2017.

1. sharky597

sharky597 Morel Connoisseur

Great pics, CDR. Hope you get a bunch more out there today.

2. mushroomcommander

mushroomcommander Morel Enthusiast

Got six or seven more today but they where looking kinda mange. They already had some white mold on them. I am hoping these temps tomorrow and the rain they are calling for Monday helps a second flush pop up.

3. sharky597

Yeah, rain should definitely help. Got at least a week or so up here before I'll start looking but posts like yours always help to gauge how long it'll take. Happy harvesting.

4. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Northeastern Illinois New Hunter
    I haven't hunted morels since I was a kid, and have the foggiest clue what to look for. Any pointers?

Greatly appreciated in advance!

5. misskay

misskay Morel Connoisseur

Which county?

Gohunt1 and Immorel like this.
  6. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Kane, cook, dupage counties. I live in Kane county.

7. northcentral

northcentral Morel Enthusiast

Immorel,
    I just moved back to Central IL and was actually able to find really nice morels the past 3 years up there between 94 and 294. Any of those woods will have them. I can't tell you the woods that my honey-hole is in as I might be up there in early may. Good luck though. Not sure if they have started up there or not. We are just getting started in Central IL

Immorel likes this.
  8. sharky597

Dead/ dying elms, ash trees, slopes/ ravines and deer trails with good drainage are all places I normally look. If you find a good elm with the bark sloughing off, stop and get down low. Take your time looking and more often than not, you'll find some. Patience is a must. You'll miss many mushrooms if you don't walk slowly (unless they're the big yellows). Good luck.

Immorel likes this.
  9. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Thank you all for the priceless information. I can't wait to get out there are start hunting. I will post any results here.

10. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Just looked at a map, there is a lot of area between 94 and 294. Any particular city?

11. sharky597

I don't hunt north of 80 but the only place I've been, relatively close to you, would be the Des Plaines Reserve off of Blodgett Rd. Take 55 south, past 80, over the bridge and it'll be on the west side of 55. Lots of ground and plenty of shrooms for everyone. Up to you if you feel like taking a drive.

12. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Thank you very much! I will check that out. Probably this weekend. And of course, share my results. :) Happy Hunting!!

13. northcentral

northcentral Morel Enthusiast

Immorel,
    I have had more success near Des Plaines but I know any of those woods will have them. For beginners, try to find woods that have primarily elm trees that are dying. My "spot" is right off 94 and has produced 40+ nice size yellows the past 3 years. It isnt very big either. The great thing is that no one really goes of the trail there either. I literally found them within 2 feet of the trail, clear as day to everyone who walked by if they knew what to look for

Immorel likes this.
  14. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

good to know. I will try not to find your "spot". LoL
    Any idea if they have started coming up this year yet?

15. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Enthusiast

Immorel,
    Do some homework before you go into some of those Nature Preserves around Chicago. It is illegal to pick mushrooms in some if not all of them and they will ticket you if they catch you.

Immorel and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Goshawk75, are the any places that it's not illegal, such as near rivers (state waterways)?

17. sharky597

Good point about state regs Goshawk75.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/AllParks.aspx

Always check with IDNR about the regulations of any public land you're looking to pick them. A lot of them have regulations as to when you can pick as well (ie: after 1pm during turkey season). Des Plaines has an 8 acre section designated for the preserve but the section I referenced is not illegal. You'll see the trap shooting ranges as soon as you get off 55 and get into the park. Your best bet is to just call IDNR and ask them first. My neighbor is an IDNR officer so I always ask him first.