1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Bitter Bolete

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jul 5, 2013.

1. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Hugh,
    Thanks for the help.re the Bitter Bolete. I had tried touching a fresh-cut cross section of the stem to my tongue and there was no bitterness. Next time I\'ll remember that it is the cap underside.

What was interesting when I tasted the few pieces that I\'d sauteed was that it took 4 seconds for the bitterness to register. When I went through a similar learning experience 5 years ago, the bitterness was instantaneous and repulsive.

I found reference by Chris M from a 2007 post where he\'d found two edible varieties of Tylopolis in GA. I\'m wondering if the stem in fact was edible on the ones I found yesterday. They would make wonderful medallions as sauteed cross sectional slices. I may go back and get another one and try it, out of curiosity. Still no Chanterelles for me, and I\'m hoping to harvest some Maitake this season also

2. scott c

scott c Morel Connoisseur

SB, I just saw this, Tylopilus Badiceps are everywhere right now fruiting next to your 3 or more bitter ones we have in Ohio. Look for white pore surface, usually a dent or crack in the stem, when cut no pink above the pore surface, very solid white flesh and a nibble will be quite sweet. There is a lighter colored variety T. ferrugineus that most references don't differentiate that is also sweet and delicious, some discoloration over time from vruising is common but no bluing.! I see them all over now mixed in with the bitters and alone, they are great eating! Check my posts on the main Ohio board.

3. scott c

scott c Morel Connoisseur

I forgot to menion Tylopilus alboater, no way of confusing it with the bitters SB, I have found these twice this year and Jason C down south of me has found dozens, the smokey or grey bolete. Not great on it's own but adds a smokey flavoring to whatever you cook it in. Dehyrates, when done properly, perfectly as well.