Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
For those who do have a Facebook, we created a morel page on Facebook for the hills/south dakota since when I searched there wasn't one. For anyone who wants to join or knows anyone who would like to join, please feel free. Trying to grow the page! (P.S. let me know if this isn't allowed)

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Will be SW of rapid City and 20 minutes NW of Hill City May 15th, turkey hunting. Will that be too late to look for morels. Any tips on elevation or type vegetation to target would be great. You can PM if you want
Your timing is good, your elevation may be to high. Looks like they have been finding them closer to 3000' but you have a week of warm weather to help. Start with south and east facing slopes. Good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
USFS gates are open/opening so another 700,000 acres available w/shorter hikes! Today we put in 8 hours and found 6 doz black morels in 8 of 12 early spots we checked, about half are tan stems and we left a few goners, 3,900 to 6,200' elevation, all SE to SW facing steep slopes. 2 storms of inch + rain took out most snow this week. Mid-week trip to southern hills found a handful of greys, 5 pounds wild asparagus, ink/mica caps over ripe, many ticks and a rattler - very dry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For those who do have a Facebook, we created a morel page on Facebook for the hills/south dakota since when I searched there wasn't one. For anyone who wants to join or knows anyone who would like to join, please feel free. Trying to grow the page! (P.S. let me know if this isn't allowed)

Good luck and happy hunting!

Not finding it...

·
Registered
32 Posts
No luck the other day when I went to look at our early spot. Very dry. Only have a few spots that we know for sure have produced morels in the past. Unable to walk as much as I want this year or in too difficult terrain thanks to being very pregnant with 8 weeks left. Hoping to find some more this year but need some good moisture BAD.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts