Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
This weather really is horrible for my mushroom mojo. Checked some other locations the other day and a I think was still too cool at nights. I found a field of blondes last year on 05/30 and none yet. I hope it is not over. There was ice all over my truck this am. DAMN Mother Nature!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mary - thanks for the new thread! First pasque flowers last week while turkey hunting, now all covered w/1-2 feet new snow in northern hills. Edgemont area had green grass, skunk weed in bloom and good dandelion flush starting on our April 20 visit - they did not get snow this weekend but are to see rain this coming weekend. April 12 is our earliest and June 30 our latest black morel finds in the hills.
We were out yesterday, no morels I could find but I am totally new to this, we did find some other stuff, I believe some oysters and possibly a puff ball in the bear lodge near Sundance on 5/28/22.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beware of the False morel (poisonous). I found these today. False morel will have the stem attached to the top of the cap and a cottony substance in the stem.

False morel on left...True morel on right. Note that the stem attaches to the top of the cap on the False and to the bottom of the cap on the True.
Plant Ingredient Wood Trunk Tree

False morel split.
Plant Natural landscape Grass Terrestrial plant Fungus

True on top...False on bottom.
Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Wood

False morel.
Plant Mushroom False morel Terrestrial plant Ingredient

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Most likely our last morel finds of the season today, but many were too far gone to keep. Did harvest 6 pounds oysters from one of 8 oyster patches that we walked to - all on aspen. Found first bolete, an aspen bolete which we do not eat, so summer mushrooms will soon be upon us. USFS cattle grazing leases have ~23K head grazing on the forest now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most likely our last morel finds of the season today, but many were too far gone to keep. Did harvest 6 pounds oysters from one of 8 oyster patches that we walked to - all on aspen. Found first bolete, an aspen bolete which we do not eat, so summer mushrooms will soon be upon us. USFS cattle grazing leases have ~23K head grazing on the forest now.
What elevation? Just curious. Thanks!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts