1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Black Morel

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by justinrobinsreo, Apr 9, 2014.

1. justinrobinsreo

justinrobinsreo Young Morel

I found a whole slug of these this morning. We just moved to Eastern Tennessee in December. I need to split one down the center to make sure it's hollow, but from what I can tell it's a black Morel. Would love your opinion, because I am new to the area. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

100% a black morel. no need to cut it down the middle...That is unless you want to fry it up!

3. justinrobinsreo

Awesome! Thank you! What's some of the best ways to cook them?

4. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

A favorite of most is dredged and fried in butter. I"ll rinse mine and half them (depending on size), then do a dry-wet-dry treatment. I'll dust them in flour, then dunk them in egg, then coat them with breadcrumbs, or crackers. Then right into the pan.

I also like mine simply sauteed with butter and little garlic and served over steak.

5. garden

garden Morel Connoisseur

WTG Justin. Very pretty black morel in my opinion. And many people prefer the taste of the black over the blondes.. Good job...

6. justinrobinsreo

Thank you! Are there any mushroom groups around here that go out hunting together? Would like to learn more about other species.

7. quallshb

quallshb Young Morel

you can learn about other species and might find some folks to hunt with in our facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/tennesseemushroomidentification/

8. justinrobinsreo

Great! I will go join. I went for my evening walk and managed to pick these. There are about the same amount across the fence. So I plan on asking for permission to pick them tomorrow. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  9. balsamboy

balsamboy Young Morel

Where you at...in NE Tn??