Black Morels in N.E. Kansas?

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by LFKhunter, Mar 22, 2018.

1. LFKhunter

LFKhunter Morel Enthusiast

Hi. Just curious if anyone has experience with finding Black Morels in Kansas? Or more specific, the N.E. part of the state? Dont think I have really ever seen any, but maybe just havent targeted them specifically.
    I'm getting geared up for the season in the Lawrence area (yellows/whites), I get the feeling its going to be a good one, 2016 was very disappointing here, and last year was better but no real killer patches, and many of my go to spots were not hitting. Did find some new spots though, which is always awesome.
    Thanks, and happy hunting

Tamalama likes this.
  2. Lynn Embley

Lynn Embley Young Morel

I found some blacks in se kansas couple years ago in Miami county near Paola ks.

3. Lynn Embley

Lynn Embley Young Morel

I found some blacks in se kansas couple years ago in Miami county near Paola ks.

4. LFKhunter

Right on, seems like they ought to grow up here too. I do know a lot of Morel hunters here though, and no one has ever brought up the subject.
    On a related note, lots of rains in the forecast up here. Should be perfect timing, the anticipation is really killing me!

5. dragon76

dragon76 Morel Enthusiast

sorry, but Paola is not SEK,lol need to be south of Ft Scott to be SEK

6. lookinundercowpattys

lookinundercowpattys Morel Enthusiast

Ive only ever found them on hillsides around lakes in ks. Far and few in between. Not something I set out to get but always in the early stages.

LFKhunter likes this.
  7. LFKhunter

Nice, thanks for the info. I'm just getting ancy, waiting for a warm spell around here

8. Tamalama

Tamalama Morel Enthusiast

Have you found any yet? I've looked several times without any luck.

9. Tamalama

Tamalama Morel Enthusiast

Are these blacks or just large greys? They were in a spot we've hunted for years but I've never found any quite this color before. 20180428_110817.jpg