black morels

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by mon co stan, Apr 14, 2013.

1. mon co stan

mon co stan Young Morel

found 21 blacks on a 15 min walk today

2. kscurlyblond

kscurlyblond Young Morel

Hi, Im new to WV. Ive hunted morels since I was a kid, in Kansas. Im trying to get a feel for when to look around here. Im in Elkins. Can I hunt in the National Forest?

3. fisher

fisher Young Morel

Found blacks10 yesterday and 40 today

4. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Kscurlyblond. There is alot of public hunting areas around elkins. Im sure theres plenty of shrooms around in them woods. but for the national forests you would have to talk to some dnr or park rangers because some plants are protected there.

5. kscurlyblond

kscurlyblond Young Morel

Thanks PBWV. I havent seen a black morel, hoping this year will be a first. Ill just keep looking! :) Im not so familiar with the terrain. I usually just went out in the flood plains but not alot of those left around here, filled with houses. More oaks also then elms I think.

6. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Ks ive had no luck hunting blacks in bottom lands. The blacks come up first and are normally gone by the time the yellows pop. i start my season on hill tops with lots of poplar preferably the 10 to 15 year old poplar around 8 to 16 inches in diamiter. I hope this helps some and good luck!!!

7. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Went for a long walk today. no new shrooms but the woods are looking good!!! Im guessing sunday for my area on blacks. wood co. wv

8. wickroy

wickroy Morel Enthusiast

should be good to go anywhere you want in the national forest. they come up a little later east of elkins as you head up to the higher mountains, try looking down low first on some south facing slopes where the ground is getting a little more sunlight and is warming up quicker.

9. kscurlyblond

kscurlyblond Young Morel

Thanks! Ive been out a few times, and havent seen anything yet. Id did ask at DNR about National Forest and that is good for personal consumption. Cant wait to find some! Ill let you know. :)

10. fisher

fisher Young Morel

We are getting ready for a cold front to move thru how will this affect the growth of the morels. I have been finding blacks and the others are just starting in my area.

11. wickroy

wickroy Morel Enthusiast

One of my best days came just after a cold front about 2 years ago. we had several days in the ninety's during the first week of april 2010. cold front came through with rain and dropped the temps from the 90's to the mid 60's with wind. A day later me and a buddy went out because we were bored and found 75 blacks and yellows. I hunt whenever i get a chance, unless it's really bad out. There so unpredictable sometimes.

12. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Atv,check. Backpack,check.
    mesh bags, check. PB and j samwiches, check. :wink: Now i just need a six pack and a portable stove cause im going shroomin!!

13. kscurlyblond

kscurlyblond Young Morel

PBWV, I want to go along :-D , I did get a hint a permission to hunt so, Im going out, wind, rain or snow. May good shroomin' be always in your favour! :lol:

14. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

:mrgreen: They are up in my best spot didnt pick any but i spoted 20-30 blacks and greys. only about 1 inch tall 2 or 3 days they will be ready to cut. the people that bought the land next to my familys land have been trespassing and made a 4wheeler trail through my favorite yellow patch :evil: Im going to talk to them today!!!!

15. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Well that didnt go as expected. the new neighbors tried to lie and say they were not rideing on my land. After i pointed out there 3 atvs and the trail leading from there back yard they still said it was not them.So i said i would call the sheriff and make a trespassing and destruction of private property complaint.Then they came clean and admitted it was them.just spent 3 hrs puting up no trespassing signs and barbed wire accross the back 30 acres. Oh dont worry i tied caution tape to the wire on the trail so noone gets killed. :evil: i hate liars and even more i hate when someone kills my morel patches!!!!

16. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

I feer it is to late for the patch though. its in bottom land and stays wet year round. they dug the whole area up and its just a giant mud hole.I am beside myself. that patch has turned out 20 to 30 quart size yellows in years past.But now its just a mudhole grrrrrr