1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

black trumpets and chanterelles southern wisconsin

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by brookie, Jun 4, 2014.

1. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

Never hunted anything but morels but am planning on trying for some summer/fall mushrooms this year. Anybody from the southern part of the state want to give a good date to start looking...from what I have read so far it is still a couple of weeks away...

2. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

no trumpets or chanterelles so far. I have found these I think these are parasols
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017

3. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

and these I think are american parasols
    [​IMG]

4. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

not sure what these are white hollow stem and white gills growing in large clusters around small oak trees...
    [​IMG]

5. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

anyone know what is happening here...
    [​IMG]

6. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

found these two chickens yesterday. looks like one of each type one sulphureus and one cincinnatus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

no chanterelles or trumpets sighted

7. sully

sully Morel Enthusiast

Those red and white mushrooms are Russala's

8. sully

sully Morel Enthusiast

also that white growth on the ground looks like mycelium starting.As for the Fox Valley, I have found about 25 pounds of chicken, 3 pounds of oysters, one blewit, one small chanterelle and one softball sized puffball.

9. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

Thats what I thought the white stuff was. Is there a way to store the chickens that is good. dehydrate or freeze somehow ?

10. sully

sully Morel Enthusiast

I dehydrate all my mushrooms unless there is a small amount then I eat them right away

11. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

I found a purdy amanita muscaria button today. Also, like 50 or so cinnabar chants and various boletes and russulas I could not I.D. Will post pics if I finger it out, nomsayin'?

12. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

ok found some trumpets,chanterelles and a bunch of these boletes not sure what they are...where ya at chelios...i am in beloit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. garden

garden Morel Connoisseur

Congrats Brookie! I am an amateur and don't know what the chubby ones are. I see them in the woods but I don't pick them because I don't want to kill my stupid self lol....

14. garden

garden Morel Connoisseur

p.s. Did you notice any little cinnabars by your patches of chanterelles? I am wondering if anyone else is seeing them.

15. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

no cinnabars only what is in the picture. I think its still pretty early here in southern wisconsin...

16. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

found a few tiny cinnabars today...and plenty of trumpets. 3.5 tall and 2.5 across was the biggest.
    [​IMG]

17. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

Jack can you ID this for me. It doesnt look like the other chickens I found but was growing out of the ground about 3ft from an oak. It doesn't stain so is it just a pale cinncinatus...it is very thin not thick like the others i found...
    [​IMG]

18. garden

garden Morel Connoisseur

Oh wow, that is beautiful....

19. brookie

brookie Morel Enthusiast

my book says that is what they look like when they are mature and no good to eat lol...

20. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

where do you find the black trumpets?