Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not found any hens yet this year,but did stumble upon a large patch of bi-colored boletes and old man of the woods

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yea boletes have been good, I found a lot of chicken of the woods in early August, a few more last week only one hen before those two weeks of warm weather....hopefully now that is cold again they'll be out again soon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to work Saturday, But plan on hitting the woods Sunday in search of the all might hen. Only found 1 small group of chickens so far this year,not sure whats going on. Rain and cooler weather,hoping for big results

·
Registered
65 Posts
grrr well I tried....my point was boletus have been good for me, chickens nice but scattered, and only one little hen so far, but im hopping the colder weather helps

·
Registered
65 Posts
heading back out Tuesday for boletus, hens, and anything else I can find....anybody ever try chicken-fat-sulius (sp?) little yellow bolete like discs that don't stain when crushed? grow around white pines....like chewy chicken fat when cooked, I think they're nasty but chefs like them, they are out now, have been for a while, warning If u pick them they might drip like milkies (even though they are in the bolete family) and stain your hands for a day or two

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a bag full of meadow mushrooms today between rains. Then had to work on my truck.never had chicken fats before. Still in search of hens,maybe even a puffball or 2. Even been hard this year finding fall oysters,but time will tell

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a nice flush of oysters, last Saturday. Sunday found 1 small hen,and some chickens. With rain Thursday,hoping weekend while be better

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Smokey over here in lake, porter and Laporte county Ive found some nice flushes of Hens in the last 4 days. 141 lbs in 48 hours. found 25 lbs on my property the rest on public land, parks. etc the last couple I saw were still bug free but getting older I'm done for the year now time to process these and focus on deer hunting. good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts