Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's start a bolete study.. Post up your pics try to ID before posting if you don't know post them up. Not looking for a random walk in the woods taking pics what are these posts. Lets learn together.. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks for starting this trahn. I tried to key this one and came to a dead end. Here is the information I can give, the closest trees to it were oak and shalebark hickory. The cap has a velvety feel, I did bite a small piece off and chewed it and spit it out, it had a mild taste, the stem was solid and after about 20 minutes where I cut it from the cap it stained black and the pores stained brown at first then turned to black later. I tried but couldn't get a spore print. Any help will be appreciated.
IMG_3678.JPG
IMG_3679.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree with Tylopilus. Not having it in hand, I might suggest checking T. alboater (my first choice) or T. plumbeoviolaceus, based on the coloration. I found a few T. alboaters in that huge photo I posted earlier on the other thread, and the pores and overall coloration feel more like that to me, but again, without it in hand, I don't know 100%. T. ferrugineus seemed redder in the photos, but I am not familiar with that one. All are edible, if you narrow it down to a few choices :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks steeler, None of my books even list that one. I checked mushroom expert and it is similar but I don't think I will ever get confident enough to eat any boletes. I do like trying to identify different ones though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't think I will ever get confident enough to eat any boletes. I do like trying to identify different ones though.
beagleboy - I know that sentiment. Ease into it. Maybe buy some dried King Boletes on the internet or perhaps, if you have a Trader Joe's Grocery, check occasionally and watch for their frozen King Boletes (imported from Europe & packaged as Porcini-French name) and you are safe for an exploratory, learning, culinary adventure.
DSC04370.JPG

Confession: When I first cut the bag open on frozen Porceni/Cep/King Boletes, I immediately stick my nose into the opening of the bag and inhale! I'm amazed at the ambrosia - from a frozen item!

Their contribution of flavor to any dish is enough to inspire you to overcome your fears in finding/identifying them yourself.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks sb, I don't have a trader joes close by but if I get confident enough I will probably try them eventually. Until this year I only ate morels, chanterelles and the white part of reishi. Since I found this forum at the beginning of the year I have collected and eaten pheasant backs, oysters, black trumpets and chicken of the woods. I like all of them except pheasant backs. I just started to taste and spit out boletes. I have been thinking about joining the mushroom club in my area.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The best part of Reishi is the red part, but only for tea. And the tea is the best part :p

You all are making me jealous. I haven't really gotten out in almost a month. Busiest time of the year for my business, and it keeps me crazy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Beagle - that sounds too generalized for me. There are boletes that fit that category, but I don't think that's all of them. Also, a couple stain blue and are tasty, and Frost's are red-pored and are fantastic. That's why I use the method of if you can narrow it down to 2-3 species, and they're all edible, then 'yay'!

And morels.com...FINALLY!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have read that too beagle and I have used it to harvest boletes. It is true that you will miss out on some edible ones but you also won’t be poisoned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts