Burn Morel Resources in Colorado

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by Blizzard, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard Morel Enthusiast

Hi All, There is a workshop on Hunting Burn Morels at the Western Colorado Outdoor & Sportsman Expo in Eagle Colorado - April 12/13th 2019 - their website is www.westcoexpo.com if you want to check it out.

Also, the 2019 Burn Morel Ebook and 2019 Burn Maps are now available at www.modernforager.com/burn-morels/

2. TooMuchHyzer

TooMuchHyzer Young Morel

Thanks Blizzard! This will be super helpful this year. I cant post links yet, but I have been tracking soil temps with greencastonline.com. No idea how accurate it is but you can at least get an idea. Does anyone have a better resource for ground temperatures?

3. hstlrussell

hstlrussell Morel Enthusiast

thermometer+ground?

Taymad97 likes this.
  4. TooMuchHyzer

TooMuchHyzer Young Morel

Sure, ground temperature readings are commonly used. I found this study, namyco.org/is_it_time_for_morels_yet, that looked at predicting morel appearances by looking at ambient and ground temperatures and precipitation. Although the study was done in the Midwest, I thought it still might be a good indicator, especially for chasing the morels up into the high country as it gets warmer.
    I have found the NRCS has many SCAN, soil climate analysis network, stations setup around the nation. Most stations have soil temperature reading down to 40". The soil temperature reading are updated daily and go back 20 years, not that you need that much data.

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  5. Taymad97

Taymad97 Young Morel

I'm a new Colorado resident (Woodland/Springs area) originally from Ohio and I am looking forward to hunting the new terrain! Any tips on spotting good hunting locations?