burns and blacks

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by stripernut, Mar 22, 2018.

1. stripernut

stripernut Morel Enthusiast

I have read that black morels like burned over areas, especially pines. I have about 3000 acres of burned over pines around here. Can anyone tell me if there is an amount of time I should wait after the burn before morels show up? one day? a week?

2. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

The first year after the burn is when to look. If it burns in the Summer, Fall or Winter, that following spring is the best time. In Michigan, where I'm at, Jack Pine burns are about the only ones that produce.

1 person likes this.

3. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

If you are looking around the Augusta area, I have never found a black morel in over 10 years of hunting them here.

eidolon likes this.
  4. stripernut

stripernut Morel Enthusiast

thanks for the heads up. The Corps has burned thousands of acres at the lake and my head was spinning trying to decide where to look. I am going to the Georgia mountains in the next weeks do you know if there are blacks up there. How about Ramps are they up there?

5. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

The key here is fire morels. Their life cycle is connected to fire, whereas natural black morels are not. Since large scale fires occur almost exclusively out west, you won’t find any of those species east of the Rockies.

6. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

In OK they can and do come up a day or two after the burn. These are grays and yellows and not blacks. I have found them with the tops singed or burnt looking that were just under the surface when the burn happened. Some of these areas they burn every single year. If weather and moisture cooperate it happens

7. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Connoisseur

we hunt fire morels here in az, about 1 year to 4 years is the life cycle of a burn area, but you gotta have favorable conditions and the right kinds of trees, i have been taught to look for conifers, we even had a flush in the fall here a few years ago, as always depends on the weather

MorelDude88 likes this.
  8. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

I have found black morels north of Atlanta so I’m sure they Could be found in N. Georgia, but I would focus on yellows since their season should be peaking now. Remember black morels will normally arrive about 2 weeks before the first greys.

9. MorelDude88

MorelDude88 Morel Enthusiast

do you look for different ground temps for blacks as well?

10. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Some of my largest finds of "fire morels" aka what we still call black morels, have been the year after burns here in Northern Minnesota and north into Canada. So it definitely occurs east of the Rockies. But they are still tied to pine forests.

11. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

Afraid I don’t keep track of ground temps although I need to start but I just can’t remembe me to take the gauge with me.

MorelDude88 likes this.
  12. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

Season is not quite finished in the CSRA. These were found yesterday afternoon.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.