Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who hunt burns, what do you look for; fresh burns, early spring burns, winter burns, or last yr's burns?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look in last years burns, and sometimes in previous burns .But they wont be as productive and then it takes about 7 years to start to produce again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going out tomorrow here in wa st for the first time. might be a little early but will see
I'm envious! My season has been over for a couple of weeks. Grass is tall, ground is dry, and it's been hot and windy. I never find morels as late as May.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what mapping sites do you all use to locate burns? i've been looking at the CalOES (for CA), but would appreciate any tips. not a lot of luck last two years but did find my first 4 this year!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
teala...see my post under California in "CA Burn Site Map". I don't know if it is different than the one you're referring to, but it shows all of the previous years wildfire sites. Hope this helps. Happy Shroomin'....

·
Registered
549 Posts
Anyone have any info on michigan burnsites
I've never heard that eastern burn sites produce all that well, but they're not all that common here. I live in NE Ohio and we had the second wettest year on record in 2018. I figure the folks in California have a TON of places to hunt after what they went through last year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've never heard that eastern burn sites produce all that well, but they're not all that common here. I live in NE Ohio and we had the second wettest year on record in 2018. I figure the folks in California have a TON of places to hunt after what they went through last year.
I can confirm that northeast burn sites didnt pan out for me years ago, but there were few examples so i don't know how meaningful it is.
So nice to have found folks as nuts about mushrooms and mushroom hunting especially as I am, have been.
Anyone: Is there a thread here for non-morel mushrooms? Is it taboo to mention other finds?
Is there another Forum- recommended- for general mushroom discussion?
tia (thanks in advance)
LK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts