Burns?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Catscratch, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Catscratch

Catscratch Morel Enthusiast

For those who hunt burns, what do you look for; fresh burns, early spring burns, winter burns, or last yr's burns?

2. dhd

dhd Young Morel

Look in last years burns, and sometimes in previous burns .But they wont be as productive and then it takes about 7 years to start to produce again

teala and (deleted member) like this.

3. Catscratch

Thanks man! I appreciate the reply.

4. dhd

dhd Young Morel

Going out tomorrow here in wa st for the first time. might be a little early but will see

5. Catscratch

I'm envious! My season has been over for a couple of weeks. Grass is tall, ground is dry, and it's been hot and windy. I never find morels as late as May.

6. teala

teala Young Morel

what mapping sites do you all use to locate burns? i've been looking at the CalOES (for CA), but would appreciate any tips. not a lot of luck last two years but did find my first 4 this year!

7. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

teala...see my post under California in "CA Burn Site Map". I don't know if it is different than the one you're referring to, but it shows all of the previous years wildfire sites. Hope this helps. Happy Shroomin'....

8. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

Anyone have any info on michigan burnsites

9. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I've never heard that eastern burn sites produce all that well, but they're not all that common here. I live in NE Ohio and we had the second wettest year on record in 2018. I figure the folks in California have a TON of places to hunt after what they went through last year.

1 person likes this.
  10. Leo Knight

Leo Knight Morel Enthusiast

I can confirm that northeast burn sites didnt pan out for me years ago, but there were few examples so i don't know how meaningful it is.
    So nice to have found folks as nuts about mushrooms and mushroom hunting especially as I am, have been.
    Anyone: Is there a thread here for non-morel mushrooms? Is it taboo to mention other finds?
    Is there another Forum- recommended- for general mushroom discussion?
    tia (thanks in advance)
    LK

11. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Leo, yes we talk about all mushrooms, stick around after morels are over and jump in the threads. Happy Hunting!

Leo Knight likes this.
  12. Leo Knight

Leo Knight Morel Enthusiast

13. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

1 person likes this.
  14. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

15. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

:cool:

1 person likes this.