Central Iowa Morels?

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by haddy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. cornfedbridger

cornfedbridger Morel Enthusiast

Central Iowa just popped! Found about 100 greys. Mostly in one good area about the size of a football field. Warren County. Good size to many of them.

2. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Pop pop pop! Polk warren county has gone from lots of work to find a few skillets full to a bounty. 10# or more (almost 3 gallons) yesterday afternoon in 4 hours. Greys, whites, yellows. Mostly west facing top of slope to 2/3 down slope. Elm hickory higher and poking through elm oak lower.
    Too many fresh beer cans and cig butts. Pick a lot but bring out your garbage guys

3. cornfedbridger

cornfedbridger Morel Enthusiast

You absolutely nailed it Fun Gus. West facing, 2/3 way down the larger hills. Exactly where I slayed them yesterday.

4. duke

duke Morel Connoisseur

Buying Morels minimum 10 lbs. call Duke 309-883-3057 or email [email protected] and thanks!

5. fun gus

Still popping. 4 pounds in 3 hour yesterday Mixture of grey white and yellow. Big fresh pops the 1, 2, and 3 per area scattered high, low, grass, leaves east and west! Just not north and little luck all year in cottonwood- weird. Found one honey hole east facing elm/ pine tree nearby. 59 4-6 inch whites freshies in the shade! Fat enough I cut them into three strips instead of half. Highest quality of the year. Today 1.5 hours one pound same as yesterday just no honey hole biggest patch was 6 all still fresh.
    High ground lilac buds dying lower ground lilacs still full so a couple last days before north slopes pop. By next weekend the last rusty and thin guys will be left but I'll be done by then.
    Wild how season is good on 5/18 and should have 5-10 more until last late season mushes back into the forest floor Usually done by 5/12 but will go t

6. fun gus

But three years ago I got my first Polk county morel on 3/20 and was done on 4/15. Earliest date ever and about tied with latest date ever over 45 years of hunting Polk county in the same half decade. Strange weather

7. haddy

haddy Young Morel

Had a good night last week on the 15th, got out of the truck and it started hailing on us. Picked on some private ground in central Iowa. Greys, Yellows and Whites, about 15 pounds in two hours. Most were found in two different areas.
    Should still be good the rest of the week.

8. ksmorelhunter

ksmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

Great work Haddy! Can you give the general area or county where you found them? Thanks for any info you can provide and good luck the rest of the season!