1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Central Iowa

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by fungushumongous, Apr 18, 2016.

1. fungushumongous

fungushumongous Morel Enthusiast

Went out late afternoon during a light drizzle. Did not see any fungus growth whatsoever. No LBMs, no Gyromitra, no stools, nothing. Ground was very hard this morning but has softened a bit with 1/8 rain so far. Hopefully we get much more. Grabbed a bag of leeks for potato soup. Found a 10 acre or so area that had been ringed, slashed and burned last summer/fall and am very excited to hunt this area. Jack in Pulpits (which I find are best plant indicators) were not quite as large as I'd like to see them. Supposed to rain 3 out of next 4 days and temps look excellent. I expect to find the first little greys within a few days. Good luck everybody!

2. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

I'm in central Iowa went yesterday for an hour. Same observation but found two east facing slope near top near trickling creek an early area for me. Thursday should be worthwhile. I have a 10 plus acre burn area looks pretty fresh they trimmed before burn not sure if it'll be good to me as I normally get results but now will attract tons of people

3. fungushumongous

Dang that area sounds very similar to the one I found :/ Congrats on finding a couple!

Went out today for about an hour and found one little Devils Urn. First and only fungus fruit I've seen. Rooted around under some elm bark slabs in small ravines but still no morel. Love finding those first tiny morels more than finding bags full later in the season. I've found them smaller than a matchstick and so pale you can almost see right through them.

Forecast says showers throughout the day tomorrow, very encouraging. I prefer going out on rainy days as the moisture tramps the undergrowth/leaves down, I can spot morels better without the glare of the sun and there's little to no competition out as most people stay out of the rain.

4. fungushumongous

Spent three hours checking high and low and no morels. Ground was soaked with standing pools in flatter areas after 1/2 inch of rain. Saw the first small LBMs and a few surprisingly large white shelf mushrooms. Also saw one lone Gyromitra (elephant ear) nearly the size of my fist on high ground between two dead elms along a fence line. Always amazed at how fast the gyros can grow.

5. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

6 yesterday in 1 1/2. 33 today in hour. Two inch greys starting to come around here

6. fungushumongous

Yep. 30 grey, 9 yellows all around 2-3 inch. Found a patch of 20 half frees as well. Northern Polk County.

7. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

45 minutes- went to a spot of 48 4-5 inch few grey mostly yellow all fresh and 4 inch around. Was going to a spot but found these near top of north west facing hill where oak and elm litter meet a grassy opening. Wish I had more time today. I get 5 hours in the rain tomorrow. Hopefully I get my first major haul.

8. sunfish

sunfish Young Morel

What county are you in fun gus

9. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

I hunt story Polk and warren. Yesterday 3 hours and only 22. Finding them high still mostly grey but fresh. Weird year soil hit 53 on 15th then dropped down then some cool rain then warm and dry. Soil only 60 for three days but will drop into 50s today. Might find a lucky spot that popped in last couple days I'll go today and tomorrow. I think a good flush will hit next Wednesday after the warm up. I'm at 5 pounds and have a long way to hit 50#. How's it going for you central Iowans

10. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Less here fun gus. I'm at about 4 pounds and have walked my ass-end off for those. Even the huge newly-dead elms aren't yielding. Most under any one tree this year is 32. Worst year in recent memory. :cry:

11. almightymorel

almightymorel Morel Enthusiast

I think middle of may gonna be primetime for morels They are out there just not much more sun warm nights got enough rain and just pray mother nature plays her part!

12. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

Starting to wind down. 23 today over 2 pounds. Drying out 5-6 inchers. Karma was good to me. A few days ago a woman was sitting on a bench by a new last year walking trail. Her bf asked how I was doing and I spent five minutes showing him leaf types and dying elm. Later I walked by the bench and saw a morel growing under where the woman sat! I snooped around and found 3 of the five that day in the open area. Today I found 21 of the 23 in brambles by the bench. One of my best areas this year. I'm at 8.4# for the year very slow year but if the low north slopes hit maybe I can get lucky. Soil temp is 70 here so not really much chance for anything fresh up high