Central Jersey/Middlesex county

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Bucksandducks732, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Bucksandducks732

Bucksandducks732 Young Morel

Good evening my name is Sean and I’m new to the site. I’m an avid outdoorsmen who spends a lot of time in the woods but have never found a morel. I’d love to try a few. Any pointers would be fantastic. Thank you for your time.

Camohunter and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Beth Zurick

Beth Zurick Morel Enthusiast

I too live in Central Jersey. I looked for 39 years here and found my first ones 2 days ago. Most of those years I looked in May until someone told me they grow here in April. Doh. Michigan is my home and I often go there in May to hunt. Not this year; they’re acting crazy there. I was told Assunpink is a place they grow.

3. Bucksandducks732

Thank you very much. I really appreciate any info. Ive been walking and looking the last few weeks. No luck. Fingers crossed

Beth Zurick likes this.
  4. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Connoisseur

Key in on certain tree types. So far the most in Northern Jersey seem off apple trees.
    My buddy is central he’s finding giant numbers, 96 in one day and this is his first real season hitting em hard. He’s finding em in hedgerows by hackberry trees

Camohunter likes this.
  5. Bucksandducks732

Thank you very much!

6. Camohunter

Camohunter Morel Enthusiast

I have to admit that I have not been out with any regularity but, I have been skunked so far this year. Is anyone still finding any? Quite honestly I think the weather has been cold enough to keep the season going a bit longer.

7. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Connoisseur

Idk the fellow I mentioned found over 400 but it’s wound down now by him. He’s in Warren co.
    Still finding some in Sussex but not giant hauls

Camohunter likes this.
  8. Camohunter

Camohunter Morel Enthusiast

I was really psyched to find my first Morel this year. I guess like everything else in 2020, it'll have to wait until next year.

9. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Connoisseur

Can’t find em home. I’d keep looking, you might find something else you want. A decent area for next year, dif mushrooms, plants, etc

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Jolaroth and Camohunter like this.