Central/NE Kansas

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by Salt, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Salt

Salt Morel Enthusiast

There are grays popping up in the Lawrence area. Found first ones 4/15. 1/2" rain last night should really get them going.

1 person likes this.
  2. Salt

Salt Morel Enthusiast

Found a dozen nice ones tonight. Seems like they just came up today - even in this cool weather. Had to be the rain last night that got them going.

3. Salt

Salt Morel Enthusiast

Found a few in low lying brushy areas yesterday. Temps about right but seems too dry. Think a good rain would really get them going.

4. j12goose

j12goose Morel Enthusiast

I checked my honey holes Saturday and all I came up with were 13 smalls. They were starting to dry out too. If it rains a little, and we get the temps, might find a few more, but the grass is starting to get pretty tall.

5. Salt

Salt Morel Enthusiast

Yes, the grass is getting tall - sadly. There are areas where the grass doesn't matter and that's where we will have to focus. I plan to look tomorrow 4/25 and again over the weekend.

6. sroomgirl

sroomgirl Young Morel

7. j12goose

j12goose Morel Enthusiast

Very nice indeed!!!

I didn't get hardly any rain this week in my area, so I'm probably done shrooming until the chanterelles and the trumpets get going. Fingers crossed we'll have some summer rains!!!

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

nice mess there Sroomgirl , what part of kansas are you in?

9. tickbait

tickbait Morel Enthusiast

I’ve been finding tons in the lawrence area. Despite the lack of rain they’re coming up pretty strong. The woods are growing up but I’m still finding mostly whites and some greys. Just started finding yellows today. I think there’s time left- perhaps a week?

10. Salt

Salt Morel Enthusiast

Agree, they are still coming up. Found a bunch of yellows today myself. Bottom land in thick stuff. Ticks are bad!

Attached Files:

11. tickbait

I just tried permethrin on my clothing for the first time today- worked like a charm. Me and a buddy each pulled 10 pounds today. Great season so far!!

Inthewild likes this.
  12. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Anyone hunt by eureka?

13. sroomgirl

sroomgirl Young Morel

Near Lawrence. The ticks and poison ivy have brought an end to my hunting this year. :(

14. Salt

Salt Morel Enthusiast

I still plan to look after the rains forecasted this week. May be one last opportunity to find some in 2019. Hate to give up as the season goes by so quickly each year.

15. Ticks are bad mmmkay

Ticks are bad mmmkay Morel Enthusiast

I concur if your not affraid of tall grass, there will be more..luckily not allergic to poison ivy.

16. Ticks are bad mmmkay

20190429_191313.jpg found this beautiful bunch in some washouts

17. Salt

Salt Morel Enthusiast

Nice mixed bag of shrooms.

18. Ticks are bad mmmkay

So who's from Leavenworth in here

19. tickbait

Well, the woods are a soggy mess right now. Standing water in lots of areas and others are completely flooded. I checked three great spots and found a few in each place. They were bloated with water and covered in dirt- possibly from coming up through the mud or just from rain splatter. On the plus side, I really haven’t found much in the way of yellows this season, so it’s still possible that they start going nuts in the next few days/next week.

20. Ticks are bad mmmkay

Yup, that's pretty accurate lol, didn't search for long.