Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Somebody in warrensburg, mo found like 2,000 shrooms, I just need enough to spread the family some love, thinking about driving up to northern Missouri, Iowa boarder to hunt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hope they do pop around here this weekend. We know the moisture is there. Couple days with sun and 70's should do it. Went to a couple local beds last evening and nothing but blooming Mayapples and ticks! I didnt prep like I normally do and didnt stay long. Plan to look harder Sat /Sun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow. Nice sized yellow! I didn't get a chance to hunt this weekend but plan to look as soon as I can. Keep hearing all the reports of massive finds in Missouri. Like to see that around here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Went out tonight to 8 of my favorite beds. Sad to say the ones I found were old and done. Thinking 2019 season over for this part of KS. Maybe a day or two to dry things a bit with some heat might change things. Dont know for sure. If anyone finds more post and let everyone know.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My guess is two weeks from now... I saw the first Mayapple spears coming up on 3/20 and those things popping up usually has to happen first. We have had temps in the 20's last couple nights and that will slow things a bit. Definitely enough moisture in the ground around here. Cant wait!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not from Leavenworth but have hunted in that area. I'm around Lawrence. I might jump in a couple spots this afternoon and see what it looks like.
Good day to you Salt! Have you had any luck this year? I believe we're both from the same area. I'm getting up there in age and my COPD makes it harder each year BUT I ain't no wussy...lol. I just try to plan my trips to the woods a bit more carefully. I am waiting until I'm certain they're being found

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Good day to you Salt! Have you had any luck this year? I believe we're both from the same area. I'm getting up there in age and my COPD makes it harder each year BUT I ain't no wussy...lol. I just try to plan my trips to the woods a bit more carefully. I am waiting until I'm certain they're being found
Good day T. No I haven't found any yet but it is getting close based on the temperature, size of the mayapples and what they are finding in southeast KS. Soil has to be 59 for a few days and we arent there yet in Lawrence. Also haven't seen the purple sweet William flowers yet. That's my sure sign. Any day now...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good day T. No I haven't found any yet but it is getting close based on the temperature, size of the mayapples and what they are finding in southeast KS. Soil has to be 59 for a few days and we arent there yet in Lawrence. Also haven't seen the purple sweet William flowers yet. That's my sure sign. Any day now...
Yes!!! Sweet William for sure. My kid's father ( rest his soul) said that was one of his tells and the fact that it was his fav wild flower makes it morel special (pun intended).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had any luck yet or thoughts on when the season might begin? It looks like another cold front is coming in. I've been out a few times with no luck, I am in the Leavenworth area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone had any luck yet or thoughts on when the season might begin? It looks like another cold front is coming in. I've been out a few times with no luck, I am in the Leavenworth area.
I'm in Douglas county and they've been finding them around here for about a week. I've also heard of them finding in northern Leavenworth. Get out there my friend! (my daughter and her gf just left the house to go hunt). They found 8 very fresh ones yesterday. I was with them but my eyes don't work like they used to so they were the only "finders"!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Haven't found anything in the flood plains myself (nor anywhere else for that matter) but wondered if they would produce anything this year. Good to see that something might come up in them. When I find my first ones I'll post.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts