Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Well here it is, almost 2 weeks later, stuck in the house while its pouring down rain and I still haven't found my first Morel for 2020. Don't know what's going on... I have repeatedly checked my best spots that have produced consistently over the years and haven't seen a thing. Along with the old spots I've hunted new hill tops to river bottoms and everything in-between. Killen me. This should be the peak of the season for the area around Lawrence. Has anyone out there figured it out?

I’m still mystified. This rain won’t help- there was plenty of moisture in the ground already. I went out yesterday in the Lawrence area and had a decent haul of large greys under one dying tree. Outside of that I was just seeing occasional whites and greys over the course of a few hours. I got a couple dozen and what I was seeing wasn’t very encouraging. However, the woods haven’t grown up much so I’d say we have some time left in the season. This may be a year where they are showing up in all those spots that haven’t produced anything in a long time.

I went out today in the Lawrence area and it was awful. Any spot you can find near a waterway is just traumatized from all the rain and flooding of the last year and the ground is soggy. Some areas have standing water. I even went back to the only place I've done well at, late last week, and it's now under several feet of water! Elms are the only trees that have produced anything for me and it's mostly been 1-2 under one elm and then nothing else in the area, or 10-15 under a dying elm. There's always the chance that things could turn around and who knows? Maybe it'll be amazing in a week. But it's raining again right now and I am hoping we don't get a rainout like the second half of the season last year.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
I went out Tuesday night (4/28) and found a couple in an old fence row I've walked by many a times - on the way to one of my spots. The old spot had nothing in it. The fence row had hedge trees and an elm in it, but the ground cover wasn't the type that typically produces mushrooms. Doesn't make any sense. Went to another good spot last night. Undergrowth coming up fast and the ticks were out bad. Not a single morel... I am going to my best 'high country' spot tomorrow and if there isn't anything there, I will be officially done for 2020. Like others have observed, my low country river bottom areas that got flooded last summer haven't produced a thing this spring. What a crazy and for me, a very frustrating season.

I'm going to give the rivers another chance next week. I've had several years where I found most of my mushrooms a week into May. I was on a smaller creek area the other day and the undergrowth was coming up- normally that's followed up by a rise in temperatures and the season shuts down. Anything could happen but it's been really disappointing so far.

Thanks for your observations tickbait and salt. It does seem that areas near the river are much less fruitful than in the past and that flooding does damage. I missed last season, but 2018 I went out several times in the Lawrence area and only found a single large yellow. I thought it may have been due to the area being picked clean. Now I am not so sure, since I've only found two this year. One in my old area (April 21-22) after looking a few times, covering a fair amount of ground, and also checking new spots. The other one (April 26), I found in an area that I know has not been hunted near the Atchison area. I looked all day after finding the first one on a hillside among mostly young elms and didn't see another. Just checked a new river spot today with no flooding and nothing.

I did great with yellows in 2018. Last year, not at all, since the season ended prematurely due to heavy rain. It just swamped everything. Standing water everywhere. I have yet to find a mushroom under a sycamore this season. Anyone else finding them under anything besides elms and ash?

Discussion starter · #48 ·
I went out last Thursday (4/30) to my favorite high ground spot and found nothing but ticks. Undergrowth was high (to be expected) but conditions really were good and I saw no indication of other hunters. Just can't figure it out. I usually do well under maple trees along creeks and elms in low country. I have found some huge yellows under sycamore trees in the past - especially late in the season - but not this year. Unless I get real motivated between now and Sunday, I'm done till next spring. Who knows, the cool weather forecast this week so late in the season may change something. Good Luck

Same here- haven’t seen a single one under sycamores or maples. I checked out a maple grove yesterday and it still had that early season look- no undergrowth. But a few feet away, the river bank was covered in weeds. A little further away under the nearby cottonwoods it looked great but the ground was saturated in water. I’m just getting a lot of mixed signals here.

May be a bit early but going to check a spot or two this weekend. All this moisture and warm sunshine might get them going.
[/QUOTE
May be a bit early but going to check a spot or two this weekend. All this moisture and warm sunshine might get them going.
Seasons Greetings Salt! Since we are in the same "stomping grounds" I would like to give you a heads up. I've been rock hunting near my shroom spots and the ticks are THICK! I would take your can of DEET along. Surprisingly it was the larger ones. Those little seed ticks are hard to spot!I I'm currently suffering with a migraine or I'd be out there as well.
Best of Luck Today!

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Thanks for the warning T. Hard to believe them little varmints could live through the cold snap we had a month ago. I haven't been out that much in March but so far I've not seen the first one yet. What rocks are you looking for?

[/QUOTE
Seasons Greetings Salt! Since we are in the same "stomping grounds" I would like to give you a heads up. I've been rock hunting near my shroom spots and the ticks are THICK! I would take your can of DEET along. Surprisingly it was the larger ones. Those little seed ticks are hard to spot!I I'm currently suffering with a migraine or I'd be out there as well.
Best of Luck Today!
Heck yeah right on, time to get these shrooms picked and ate

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Found 7 greys today with my boy plenty warm
Congrats on those first finds mmmkay. I also went out Sunday to a couple different spots. Yes it was warm but apparently not warm for a long enough time to make them sprout where I looked. I got a picture from a hunter that picked up a nice mess of grays and two yellows on Sunday in the Gardner area. They are beginning to pop!

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.