Central PA Season

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by packratjim, Apr 14, 2017.

1. chase2634

chase2634 Morel Enthusiast

Found 70 in a flush last year and so far this year I've been back 4 times to the same spot with zero morels. The ones I've been finding, which so far the year has only totalled ten, have been scattered and/or the majority found around two young Elm trees. Not a great year for me so far with the amount of ground I've covered and time I've spent in the woods. Hoping things improve this weekend but with temps in the 80's I'm concerned. BTW-We hit that flush last year on May 8. So I'm still hopeful we'll find some producing patches. Good luck!

Barnacle likes this.
  2. Fish Guts

Fish Guts Morel Enthusiast

Another good night, this rain had em coming up!

Attached Files:

3. packratjim

packratjim Morel Enthusiast

Over a hundred today in Huntington county, deep woods, southeast slopes, elms.

4. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Right on hood reporting Thank You

5. packratjim

Okay today in Mifflin county found a massive hillside covered with tulip poplars and elms...so you guessed it just loaded with blacks both old and new. On the top of the hill were the elms and the blondes...greys were to be found as well mixed in here and there. Several hundred in all were taken. Buddy of mine also did well today in centre county with about 80 blondes of mixed sizes. It's raining out right now so the next few days should bring on a new flush here and there. Good hunting to all!

Kicker, Barnacle, JenL and 3 others like this.
  6. David R

David R Young Morel

Here in Juanita Co I have zero! Was out on Wen but I think it was still too cold

Barnacle likes this.
  7. fingletang

fingletang Young Morel

8. Cassy3

Cassy3 Morel Enthusiast

Yesterday in center county I also found a mixture of small black and all sizes of grey and blondes. All together around 75

Kicker, Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Cassy3

Cassy3 Morel Enthusiast

Attached Files:

10. packratjim

Yesterday in Mifflin county had a bout 70 good blondes and at least that many that were rotten or too old and dried up. Going to Centre county today.

11. packratjim

About a half dozen blacks, some half-free morels, a false morel, oyster mushrooms, chanterelles and last but not least three dozen blondes today but walked long and far to get them. Tomorrow back in Mifflin County and then Huntington County on Thursday and Friday to finish up the week. After that it's back to work.

12. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good Reporting. ..Thank You

13. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

You managed to find chantarelles this early??

14. chase2634

chase2634 Morel Enthusiast

I too found one just starting in Lancaster last week. Surprised me too!

Barnacle likes this.
  15. theshadows

theshadows Morel Enthusiast

We start watching for them based on what we see going on at our house. Star magnolia tree getting ready to bloom, asparagus starts peaking through and first creeping Flox blossom. Our first find this year was April 16th. 2016 first find was apr 30th. Season was pretty much over where we pick by the end of the month. Some years it has been May. This year was the earliest first find since we started tracking the date. We hunt in Centre County. We hunt in meadows first, then south side of mountains then north side. It seems to be a ground temp thing and that's the order that things warm up. We don't have a north mountain side location yet though so that theory is still just that. A theory.

16. Sugar12

Sugar12 Morel Enthusiast

First time poster, long time lurker, and very much novice hunter. I found 4 what I believe to be half free morels and wanted to confirm they're safe. Can you confirm?

Attached Files:

17. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Yep, half frees

Sugar12 likes this.
  18. Sugar12

Sugar12 Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the guidance!

19. packratjim

Hope to keep this thread going this year. So far a few blacks at 2 different spots but have not been seriously looking yet due to the cold overnight temps. seems we have plenty of rain in central PA and now just need some sun to start flushes. Am going to start tomorrow for sure.

20. Sugar12

Sugar12 Morel Enthusiast

I found 8 more half frees yesterday. Some nicer one's too

Attached Files: