Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Central PA Season

21K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  packratjim 
#1 ·
Post your finds if you want to and enjoy!

#3 ·
I live in Mifflin County and hunt Center and Huntington counties as well. A few very small blacks up this morning in Huntington County at a reliable spot. Next week should be great especially if we get rain this weekend. Am not going to give up any spots of my own nor would I expect anyone else to do so but would be interested in a mutual effort to cover unknown ground with anyone interested.

#4 ·
Spent 3 hours yesterday searching a reliable area in late season and only saw some may apples, fiddleheads, skunk cabbage etc but saw no morels. Searched south facing slope, ravines, creek bottoms, railroad tracks and nada. I'm in SE PA. Think we're at the very beginning of the season or the three of us that went are blind.

#19 · (Edited)
Have you found anymore since the 19th? 2016 morel season was MY worst season I've experienced!! ☹ So therefore I created one for Center county today hoping to learn where around the county they've been sighted. Realizing this thread was already created for Central I apologize. Where about in central are you finding ? Idk why but for few days now none are popping in locations I've picked many for years. Finally today I came across 4 tiny burnt ones. I went somewhere completely different finally found 2 in a spot I was passing threw. Third one found on a hill deeper in the woods. 4th one found was a location I've picked before. Are you finding in previous locations?

#11 ·
I talked to someone earlier on wildmushroomhunting.com- here's what he said: "
Elms like basic soil, 5.5 < ph < 8.0. They also seem to favor sunny areas. I see a lot of elms along highways. I think the presence of concrete along highways helps to bring up the soil ph. (But I don't collect mushrooms that grow near busy highways.) Most of the state game lands in my area are in upland areas. But even the game lands at lower elevation seem to lack elms, I think because a significant forest canopy is at odds with the elm's preference for open sunny areas. Elms in my area seem to populate specific areas, maybe a couple mile stretch here and there. More often than not, there's no elms. Where there are elms, small ones are growing, candidates to replace the older ones (24-35 feet high) that continue to suddenly die of Dutch Elms Disease. A good elm morel area is a well-drained wood-plot where most of the trees are elms. (Elms often grow in soggy areas, but this type habitat is generally not good for morels.) Here in eastern PA these types of spots exist, but they aren't common. Further west there are more elms in PA." I know there are tulip poplars in Doubling Gap. But basically elms are weird.

#12 ·
I found 2 elms yesterday in state forest in SEPA and found 9 around them. Searched for two hours after that and walked miles in what appeared to be good areas with mayapples, fiddleheads, etc with nothing coming up. Tried an entire ridge facing south and nada. Surprised to say the least.

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
Okay today in Mifflin county found a massive hillside covered with tulip poplars and elms...so you guessed it just loaded with blacks both old and new. On the top of the hill were the elms and the blondes...greys were to be found as well mixed in here and there. Several hundred in all were taken. Buddy of mine also did well today in centre county with about 80 blondes of mixed sizes. It's raining out right now so the next few days should bring on a new flush here and there. Good hunting to all!

#31 ·
About a half dozen blacks, some half-free morels, a false morel, oyster mushrooms, chanterelles and last but not least three dozen blondes today but walked long and far to get them. Tomorrow back in Mifflin County and then Huntington County on Thursday and Friday to finish up the week. After that it's back to work.

#32 ·
Okay today in Mifflin county found a massive hillside covered with tulip poplars and elms...so you guessed it just loaded with blacks both old and new. On the top of the hill were the elms and the blondes...greys were to be found as well mixed in here and there. Several hundred in all were taken. Buddy of mine also did well today in centre county with about 80 blondes of mixed sizes. It's raining out right now so the next few days should bring on a new flush here and there. Good hunting to all!
Good Reporting. ..Thank You

#35 ·
Have you found anymore since the 19th? 2016 morel season was MY worst season I've experienced!! ☹ So therefore I created one for Center county today hoping to learn where around the county they've been sighted. Realizing this thread was already created for Central I apologize. Where about in central are you finding ? Idk why but for few days now none are popping in locations I've picked many for years. Finally today I came across 4 tiny burnt ones. I went somewhere completely different finally found 2 in a spot I was passing threw. Third one found on a hill deeper in the woods. 4th one found was a location I've picked before. Are you finding in previous locations?
We start watching for them based on what we see going on at our house. Star magnolia tree getting ready to bloom, asparagus starts peaking through and first creeping Flox blossom. Our first find this year was April 16th. 2016 first find was apr 30th. Season was pretty much over where we pick by the end of the month. Some years it has been May. This year was the earliest first find since we started tracking the date. We hunt in Centre County. We hunt in meadows first, then south side of mountains then north side. It seems to be a ground temp thing and that's the order that things warm up. We don't have a north mountain side location yet though so that theory is still just that. A theory.

#39 ·
Hope to keep this thread going this year. So far a few blacks at 2 different spots but have not been seriously looking yet due to the cold overnight temps. seems we have plenty of rain in central PA and now just need some sun to start flushes. Am going to start tomorrow for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.